In Search of Cupid's Boy Band

Mazie Greegrass turned the corner of the hall and dashed into the library. She couldn't believe no one in her new town knew about her bias: Cupid's Boy Band. Her old hometown had a huge section of manga and kpop magazines in the library. This school only had one shelf. ONE SHELF. Her black hair streaked with purple flew back as she bumped straight into something hard. She looked up. It was that guy she had been drooling over in her sophomore Math class.

"Sorry." She practically dove out of his way and into the stacks to hide. If she waited a few minutes, he'd be gone. She squatted in the aisle. It might have been 20 minutes when suddenly, the lights went off.

She shouted, "Hello? Anyone there?" into the dark library.

She pulled out her phone and hit the flashlight. She swung it around and found the door. She tugged the doorknob a couple of times. It was locked. Did she hide too well? Now, she was locked in.

She leaned up against the door. She refused to cry. She had some granola bars in her bag. There was a drinking fountain in the back of the library. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Until she thought, no bathroom. She turned and started banging HARD on the door. She screamed for help. After ten minutes, she sat next to the door. The tears started to come. No one was going to see them anyway.

Then, she heard footsteps in the hallway. She stood up, wiping her cheek with the back of her sleeve. Was it possible? Was someone still here?

She pounded the door. "Hey, I'm locked in the library. Help me." She heard the door rattle and backed up. The door opened. There was the boy she'd been crushing on. She didn't care. She was so happy to see him. She wrapped her arms around his neck. "Thank you so much. I thought I was going to have to spend the night in here."

He hugged back. "I heard you yelling and found the janitor to get the keys. He must have locked the door not noticing you were still here. I knew, because you'd bumped into me."

"Really?" She sniffed.

"Yeah, I always notice when you're around. I've been wanting to ask you out, but you keep avoiding me in class." He moved closer and whispered, "I've been wanting to know more about the Mysterious Maize."

Maize smiled. "I've been scared to even say 'hi'. I figured you weren't interested."

"I want to know the reason for this purple streak in your hair." He played with the purple strands.

Maize laughed, moving back. "I'll tell you all about it, but it may involve something called Kpop."

"I've got time. You want some coffee?" He held up the keys. "Maybe after we return these?"

Maize grabbed his arm and said, "I'd love a cup of coffee, and I'll tell you all about Cupid's Boy Band."