Chapter 2

Scratch Scratch Scratch

I forcefully lifted my eyes, still half asleep. I looked towards the sound of the scratching. Blurryness. I brought my hands up to my eyes and rubbed, getting rid of the blurry filter. Tessa scratched the door, begging to go outside. I stretched, then got out of bed and walked towards her. I rubbed her back, opening the door at the same time. She ran through the hallway, and charged through the doggy door. I looked at the time..

"Crap.." I thought. "I'm gonna be late.."

I quickly hopped in the shower, and a few minutes later I was hurriedly eating my breakfast. I finished, put the bowl in the sink and quickly made my recess and lunch. I shoved them into my bag, then headed for the door. Tessa was lying down near the door. I knelt down, stroked her behind her ear and kissed her forehead. "Bye, Tess."

I opened the door and went on my way to school.

I walked the same way as yesterday. Down the street, pressing in my earphones to hear my music. I turned a corner, but did a wide arc so I didn't bump into the civilian. I walked through the gates, opened the door, and sat down. The bell sounded just as Ms. May walked into the class.

"Good morning everyone."

"Good morning Ms. May." Everyone said back.

May cleared her throat. "Let's quickly do roll call.."

My mind was else where as she called everyone's names. I stared at EJ.. she looked at May, paying attention like she always does..

"Peter?"

I blinked back into existence, May staring at me, waiting for a response.  "Uh, good morning, Ms. May."

"Ah!" May exclaimed. "Formal, interesting."

She continued with the roll. A few minutes later, after roll call, notes and important date reviewing, the bell sounded for the next class. I picked up my bag and went to English.

***

My crumbs blew away with the wind, landing or going who knows where. I sat on the bench, my book open, pages trying to close and open on their own. I looked at my watch. Lunch was almost over.. and Lauryn wasn't here. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, she might just be off with some friends.. but still..

I closed my book, put it in my bag, then stood up. I walked through the yard, past soccer games, going through football games. My feet hit the grass with a thud as I walked. I got to a tree, it's trunk was big and wide, standing high in to the air. Perfectly green leaves swayed in the wind above me, and the branches and leaves providing great shade for me. I sat down on the roots of the tree, and continued reading.

Birds chirped, flowers bloomed and leaves swayed.. and it was peaceful. I sat there for a few minutes reading, before I decided to just enjoy the peaceful surroundings.

"Um, excuse me?"

I look to my left. A girl was standing there. Elle-Jane.

"Hey. EJ, right?" I asked politely.

EJ smiled and nodded. "Yes that's me.. you're Peter, from home group?"

"Yeah." I replied.

EJ sat down next to me. She showed me a piece of paper. She pointed to her next class. "Do you know where the Maths class is?"

I raised my eyebrows. "You have Maths next as well?"

"Uh.. yea I think so."

The bell blared through the yard. I stood up and gestured towards the building. "Come on, I'll show you where it is."

EJ smiled. "Okay, thanks so much." She stood up, and together we walked back across the yard and into the massive school building.

The door to the Maths class was in front of us. EJ looked at it, then opened the door and walked inside. She turned back to me. "Thanks, again."

"No problem." I replied.

She walked in and took a seat at the far end. I walked in after her, taking the only available seat, right next to the door.

***

I was halfway through the questions on the board..

"What is the answer...? This question is so hard!" I looked up, and saw EJ looking at me. She raised her eyebrows in laughter.

"You alright?" She mouthed.

I shook my head, pointing my pencil at my book at the same time.

"You'll be fine." She silently said.

"I hope so." I mouthed back.

***

The door closed, and I put my seatbelt on. Mum and I had the usual conversation, and I barely paid attention to it as I had the window down and my music playing. A few moments after we had gone silent, a wave of drowsy feeling washed over me. I closed my eyes and fell into a deep slumber.

Mum shook me awake. I opened my eyes, blinking rapidly to get non blurry vision.

"Peter! We're home!" She said.

"Oh." I replied.

I grabbed my bag, opened the door and walked out. I checked the mailbox - which was empty - and then walked through the front door. Tessa was waiting for me, I ran up and smothered her with cuddles, before going into my room and unpacked my bag. I lay on my bed for a few hours, watching YouTube, and before I knew it, it was time for bed. I got changed, then hopped in bed. Tessa ran up and lay down next to me, my arm around her stomach as we both fell asleep.