20: T h e R o a d A h e a d

XX

Brenda and Thomas stared at the advancing vehicle in disbelief

As the head-lights illuminated the darkness of the tunnel, they could make out the figures of their friends.

Jorge was at the wheel, Harriet was in the passenger seat and Newt, Frypan and Winston were all clustered in the back.

Jorge swung the car up alongside Brenda and leaped from the vehicle, a hefty crow-bar in hand.

"Hang in there, Be!" he shouted as he ran over to her.

Harriet, Frypan and Winston all opened fire on the next wave of approaching cranks that threatened to engulf them. Newt, being careful to avoid being caught in the crossfire, jumped out of the car and pulled Thomas, by the cape of his jacket, to safety.

"You shucking slinthead!" he yelled. "You could've gotten yourself killed!"

"Get in the car!" Harriet shouted above the noise of the gunshots. "Hurry! We're nearly out of ammo!"

Jorge crouched down beside his niece, using the crow-bar to carefully pry away the strong jaws trapping Brenda's leg.

"Yes!" he called out in truimph, once he had forced the trap open. Brenda quickly moved out of the way before Jorge let it snap shut again.

"Let's get you to the car," Jorge addressed her, his tone laced with worry and concern.

However, before he could assist Brenda in getting to the vehicle, Newt suddenly appeared by her side. Before Brenda could do anything to resist, he'd swept her up in his arms, bridal style.

He raced back towards the jeep with her, Jorge in tow.

As Newt bundled Brenda into the car, Jorge was charged upon by a furious crank that had somehow escaped the deadly gunfire.

"No!" Brenda screamed, reaching out a helpless hand towards her uncle. Newt wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close, trying to comfort her.

"Stand down!" Harriet called out a warning before shooting the attacking crank in the arm. It let out a screech of pain, fondling it's wound and snarling and snapping at Jorge as he leapt back into the car.

Before he shut the door, Jorge flung the heavy crow-bar at the crank, hitting it square in the head. The crank's eyes rolled back and it fell, motionless, to the ground.

"That's for trying to kill me, you bastard!" he hurled forth the insult as if the crank could actually hear him. "Hold on, guys, this is gonna be one heck of a ride!"

Harriet slipped back down into her seat and reloaded her rifle. "Let's go before more cranks hit us!"

"How many are there?" Winston shouted, cautiously training his pistol through the open window into the darkness behind them.