Part 4

I follow closely to them throughout the day. They wander everywhere together, their eyes on one another the entire time. She shoots him shy smiles, hidden behind her sleeve, her cheeks glowing faintly pink. I am entranced by her expressions, and I know that she will look at me like that once I find a way.

        As time passes, the sky begins to drain from a turquoise into hues of purple, orange, red. I follow as they walk into a nearby restaurant together, their fingertips lightly brushing as they enter the doorway.

        “Oh! I’m sorry!” she exclaims and shifts to the side, a blush seeping into her face once again.

        “That’s fine,” he laughs brightly and leads the way to a vacant table. “Here, sit down first. I need to use the restrooms. I’ll be right back.”

        I perk up at this mention, and I know that my opportunity has come. As he starts walking away, I creep behind him and tail him as he reaches the doors to the washroom. It’s a single stall, good for only one person at a time. He saunters to the sink first and flicks on the tap, humming a tune as he washes his hands, completely unaware of my existence.

         I inch as close as I could to him and direct my lips to his ears. The dim light flickers, encouraging me.

        I will become you now, I whisper.

        As though he could sense my presence, he flinches and his bright blue eyes widens, but he has no time to react as I step into his body.

         I want to be the man she’s waiting for. I want to be the man she loves, and I will become him.