Default Title - Write Your Own

We have been traveling all day, trying to find better shelter. You could say we've always lived amongst garbage. That's what it felt like.

We were passing through the quiet waters with mom, me and my brother "do you think we'll finally have clear fresh water where we're going to?" my little brother asked mom.

Mom's face fell for a moment but quickly composed herself "I'm sure it'll be safer there" she said swimming ahead.

"But that's what you said last time" my brother whined.

Mom stopped swimming and looked to him "I know honey, I'm sorry it turned out the way it did. I promise that this time we will have our clear, fresh water and we'll stay there forever"

Mom always had a way of reassuring us of things getting better even when we knew it'll only get worse.

We swam for a couple more minutes until we reached a bad spot that we had to cross.

Surrounded by plastic, sweet wrappers, chips packets, plastic bottles and the dreaded plastic bags.

"Alright kids you know the drill. Swim slowly and carefully." mom said also telling my brother to swim nearer to her. I tend to just keep quiet and observe.

We were almost at the end when a whoosh came past us making all the plastic move our way. I moved out of the way so fast avoiding the oncoming chips packet.

" Leah help!" I heard my mom scream.

I looked around frantically not seeing her or my little brother. I moved furiously searching for them "Mom! Roy! Mom where are you" I screamed out.

"Leah I can't find your brother! " distress laced in her voice.

I looked for her, my eyes moving frantically over every piece of material that does not belong here. I swam to where I heard mom's voice. This sort of thing happened alot, but that didn't mean that I've become accustomed to it.

I found my little brother with his eyes tightly shut "clear, fresh water and no more moving around" I heard him chant over and over.

"Roy" I said in a small voice as I neared him.

He turned around and swam right into me "I thought I lost you" he said "where's mom? "  he asked looking up at me with those big fishy eyes.

"I don't know. I'm trying to find her" we both swam carefully calling out mom's name, but she never answered.

When we reached the near end of the trash point we saw mom. The very big turtle with a little scratch on her shell.

There she was with a plastic bag wrapped around her neck with her eyes closed.

I've seen this scene a thousand times to know that mom would not be taking us to "clear, fresh waters"

I did not stay any longer with Roy after we saw the scene.

"we're going to have the clear fresh waters one day right?" Roy asked.

"yes Roy one day" I said.

That was a lie.