The accident

After a long day at school Leah had decided that she wanted to do some more corse work for her GCSE art. At the moment they were testing out different styles and she was currently working on an oil painting.

Her school had lent her some supplies so she could work on it over the weekend, and she was really exited because art is her favourite subject.

After working on the painting for an hour and a half she decided to head home. She knew her mum would be home late tonight as she had a late shift cleaning some offices, so she would have to make dinner. She packed up and started her forty five minute walk home. On the way she listened to one of her favourite playlists, it ranged from Chopin to Arctic Monkeys as she really didn't have a certain style of music she listened to.

When she arrived home, around ten to six, she changed out of her uniform and into a baggy jumper and faded, loose jeans. After doing her homework and putting a clothes wash on she put a singular microwave meal in and did some washing up from breakfast while waiting for it to cook.

After five minutes her dinner was ready and she plated it up and sat alone at the tiny dining room table. She put some Norah Jones on and ate while listening to her soothing voice.

When she finished she washed up the plate, cutlery and her glass. She then heard the sound of the washing machine finishing its spin, so she put it out on their airer and left it to dry.

When she has finished putting the washing out she looked at the time and saw it was eight, she realised she had about and hour and a half before her mum got back. She decided to watch deadpool, at least until her mum got home. She grabbed some quavers and a freddo then started the movie.

As the end credits of the movie rolled, Leah realised that it was fifteen minutes after her mum was supposed to be back. However since it was only fifteen minutes she assumed it was something traffic related and went up to her room to do some sketches.

After another fifteen minutes, however, she knew something must be wrong. Her mum was never this late. And that was when the house phone rang.

Leah ran downstairs, an ominous feeling creeping up her spine. She skidded on the wooden floorboards in her haste to get to the phone. When she did she took a deep breath and then picked up the phone.

"Hello" she said into the old, greying phone, in the strongest voice she could muster.
"Hello" replies the voice on the other end "is this Leah Edwards, daughter of Sarah Edwards?" The voice inquired softly.
"Yes it is." Leah replied "who is this?" She questioned carefully.
"This is the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, your mother has been in a car accident and is in surgery now. Is there anyway you can get to the hospital?" The voice said smoothly.
"W-what. An accident!" Exclaimed Leah "is she okay??" Is asked urgently.
"Well, currently she is in surgery, her injuries are quite severe. It's touch and go. Is there anyway you can get to the hospital." She asked again.
"I-I'll get a taxi. I'll be there as soon as possible" she hung up the phone and then it was like an outer body experience.

Leah didn't remember putting her coat and shoes on. Nor did she remember leaving the house in the pouring rain. She didn't register the freezing, ice water crashing down on her. She didn't recall calling a taxi, getting in or paying. But suddenly she was there, in the reception, asking where her mum was.

"Where is my mum??" She forced out, her desperation clear in her voice. She gripped onto the desktop, like it was the only thing keeping her propped up, which it was.
"Please tell me her name." Replied the lady, almost bored.
"Sarah Edwards" Leah responded in a heartbeat. And at this the receptionist's cold eyes softened. She must have seen her or heard something about her condition.
"She's in the surgical wing. You'll need to wait in the recovery room, where she will be moved. There is a seating area outside. Just keep going straight until you see a sign saying 'recovery' then turn left, left again and then you're there." She informed Leah, giving her a comforting smile that she didn't see as she was already running towards the seating area.

After twenty minutes of waiting anxiously a nurse came and took her to her mothers room. When her gaze fell upon her mother, she gasped and her heart stopped.

Her once enviably clear, pale skin was now burned and swollen. Her right eyes was so swollen, in fact, that it was at least three times it's original size. Dragging her eyes down her, thin hospital sheet covered body, Leah saw her mother's arms. All cut and bruised. The skin was freshly stitched together but was still falling off in parts. Her eyes traveled back up to her mothers face and realised for the first time that chunks of her hair were missing and the remaining strawberry blond hair was now limp. Lifeless.

The only thing that kept the tiniest scrap of hope in Leah's heart was the fact there was a slow, beep coming from the heart rate monitor and the small wheezing breaths her mum was inhaling and exhaling.

"She's in a coma at the moment" the nurse informed "she isn't doing well. You might want to say goodbye." He said before leaving Leah. All alone.

She made her way slowly round the bed, to the chair sat beside it. When she sat down she grabbed her mum's hand.

"Mum. Please wake up. I love you so much. I need you so much. I- I-" she felt warm tears slip down her pale cheeks. "I don't want to you be in pain. The nurse said you might not make it. But you're a fighter mum. You always told me that I'm a fighter because I'm the daughter of a fighter. I'm your daughter so I'm strong. But you're also my mum and that means you're stronger. I know you can do it mum, please come back to me. Don't leave me too. Please." She starts to sob. She holds her mothers hand tight, not wanting to let go. She stares at her mothers face, willing her to open her eyes. And then there is a loud sound. Like the beeping but continuous. She flatlined.

Within seconds, Doctors and nurses came piling into the room. Leah was dragged back. Helpless watching as they tried to start her mothers heart again. Time slowed down. Everything from then on became distant and blurred. She became numb.