SOS

Sobbing, Betty managed to pick herself off the hard gravel and sit herself down in the curb; her eyes refilling with tears. She parted her fingers to reveal a subtle tattoo of a heart with the initials A.S. Alice Smith. The woman she was doing this all for.

Droplets of rain began falling from the clouds as the wind blew harder and evening rolled around, leaving the blonde in a dark, dim setting. Betty Jones snivelled, laying her head in her hands in defeat. Her iPhone stayed silent in her pocket but still she checked it for missed calls, texts, anything. There was no way Malachi was going to carry out his side of the deal now. She had let her mother down. The woman who raised her was trapped in a world of drugs and would stay there until Betty did what the gang wanted. But Betty hadn't. She'd lost herself. Finally, she understood what happened to her brother. It's so easy to forget what you're doing it for and get caught up in love or power.

After some while, a car rolled past. The driver slowed down next to the drenched blonde and rolled down his window.

"Betty? Cooper!" The driver called out.

The sodden girl looked up. A relived cry escaped her lips and she ran, tripping and stumbling, up to the car.

"Archie! Oh my god Archie!"

"Betts you're soaked. Get in." Archie looked her up and down with concern.

"Thank you. Thank you." She rushed around to the passenger door.

"What's going on?" he asked as soon as she sat down.

"It's complicated. Just very...very...complicated."

"Right...whatever it is or was. We need to get you someplace warm."

He frowned with worry and reached behind to get a blanket. It was pink with little flowers; obviously a child's.

"Sorry about the..." The redhead gestured at the patterns as he handed it to her.

"Thank you," Betty snivelled, "You have kids now?"

"Yeh, well one... a 5 year old girl, she's pretty cute. Now, where do you need to go?"

"I...I...don't really know..." Betty laughed, "Sorry  I'm such a mess."

"Betts."

Archie titled his head, brought his hand to her face and lifted her chin upwards.

"It's ok. Come on I'll  take you  to Fred's, I was going to see him anyway."

"Fred! Aww I haven't seen him in ages."

Archie  let out a small sound of laughter and set off.

The sounds of Betty's light snores filled the car as Archie pulled into his father's drive.
"Betts." Archie nudged her, "Betts!"
"Betty. Betty. Betts!"
The blonde woke up with a start.

"Sorry, sorry. I haven't slept like that in a long time." She rubbed her eyes and released a cathartic yawn.

"You can nap inside." He rested a hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you."

Betty stepped out of the car, to come to face the neighbouring house. It had a brand new swing set on the front lawn but everything else was exactly the same.

"Do you know who lives there now?" She tapped Archie and gestured at the house.

"Urm yeh. A new, young family. Not sure why they'd want to come here but each to their own." He shrugged and opened the door.
"It must be weird seeing your old home."

"Yeh it is..." She replied, vacantly.

"Dad! Dad! I brought home a stray!" Archie shouted as he entered.

"Archie Andrews. Stop bringing me animals." Fred appeared from the kitchen. He froze when he saw Betty.
"Betty! Betty! Is that you? Archie it's Betty!" Laughing, he embraced her.

"Ooo you're soaking. Arch get her a towel. Go on upstairs. You know where everything is. Make yourself at home."

"Thank you, Fred."

"No problem. We'll talk when you've rested." He, affectionately, patted her on the back.

"C'mon Betty. You can sleep in my room for now." Archie took her hand.

——————————————————
2 hours later 
The now rested blonde began down the stairs but froze at the sound of a familiar voice.

"Yeh we've had some complications, so I don't know if all this is appropriate but thanks for calling me Arch. It's been too long."
Jughead.

Betty gulped.