Chapter 1 - The letter.

It was my dad's 50th birthday.  we weren't having a party. We were just having a dinner. My step mother  who was called Ann and whom I loved very much came in with the post. She gave an old looking envelope to my dad who looked confused when he read the writing on the front.

"The post man said they have been holding that letter for over 10 years."

said Ann. She was looking older now a few wrinkles on her face and her brown hair slightly lighter than it used to be with less curls. She was wearing a light blue dress.

"It can't be... " said my dad. His name was Alex. He has shortish brown hair with some greys in and a balding patch on top. he wore a light green t-shirt and jeans.

"What?" I asked.  I myself had shoulder length dyed blond hair and I had on a pink t-shirt and jeans. I also had a scar on my chest from heart surgery that almost bankrupted my dad.  I had to take a pill every day. they were small and pink and oval shaped. I took today's and looked at my dad.

He said nothing but opened the letter it came with 2 sheets the second was what looked like a bank account details. My dad sat there silently crying, water leaking from his eyes onto his steak and kidney pie.

"what's wrong?" I asked.

My dad handed me the letter...

Dear Alex,

If you have received this its because I'm no longer with you. I want you to know that I still love you and always will until the end of time.

I hope you are looking after our little girl and she is doing well. When you recieve this she will be 16 and be able to accept her half of the gift I give you both.

A long time ago I put 1 million pound into a savings account which by now should have tripled. I hope you won't need this and if you don't just put it away and save it. if you do, well it's a good thing I saved it. Half of this is for Jane. Teach her how to live off of interest.

I miss you loads and love you more.

Happy 50th Birthday my love. Remember to be happy.

I love you.

Louise x x x

"Mum?" I asked dad.

"Yeah" He whispered barely audible.

Louise was my real mother.  She had been shot and killed by a very bad man when I was 10. I missed her a lot and sometimes I still cried about it on a night time. 

I left the table and the letter and went to my room I wanted some time alone. I heard my step mum getting up from her chair but my dad said to leave me.

Later that night I went back downstairs with dads birthday card. He looked like he had been on the phone with the bank details and the letter next to him as he sat on the armchair.

He opened his card. 

"Happy Birthday Father,  Your getting older, your growing bald and have grey hair growing in places. But don't worry about a because I will love your for ages" My dad said reading the card and smiling. "Cheek! thanks. I need to talk to you"

"what's up?" I said sitting down on the sofa.

"Ive sorted the money out your mum left you. you will get just over 1.5 million pound but your mum asks that you live off of the interest. So I've sorted an account out for you so any interest you get gets put into that account. Just the interest. if you want more then u need to talk to me."

"How much and when..." I started. my dad knows of my impatience with things.

"Your first interest will go into your account on the 1st of September and will be in on the first of every month. here is your card.  The pin is 1397"

I took the card and aid thankyou  "How much ? " I asked again .

"£7846.21 every month. which is more than enough to live on." said dad. 

"Woah, it should make life easy" I said.

"Very!" said my dad.