Chapter 17 - Worst Birthday Ever

The week flew by and my birthday quickly arrived. i got up early and there was a letter on the table from my mum and dad and a set of keys. It just said happy birthday and an address. I was curious but i took the letter and the keys with me and went to college. Jill had become my best friend and we got on like a house on fire. Even Joe got on with her really well one day in the first week of college we all went to a cafe and had a right laugh. But i still wasnt ready to tell Joe and then the day before yesterday Joe stayed over at my house and although we had a good night the next day he had become reeally quiet. 

I got into college and sat down between joe and jill.

"Your early" i said to joe

"couldnt sleep"

"everything ok?" i asked

"yeah just couldnt sleep, dont worry baby"

Jill gave me a raised eyebrow look just as miss Lola came in. We were set to work copying notes off the white board again. It was dull and pointless. The guys enjoyed itbecause everytime she wrote something on the board she bent over slightly and her skirt hitched up a bit. i even caught joe staring again so i smacked him round the head. he mumbled a sorry and put his head down to write something. I wondered briefly whether the lesson would be better if i were bi or gay. I put the thought out of my head and looked over at Danny. i was suprised to see that he wasnt watching miss Lola at all but getting on with his work. he looked round and smiled at mefor a brief moment and it wasnt a grimace or anything like that but a nice smile. i smiled back. Jill nudged me 

"stop staring" she half whispered and half laughed quietly so Joe would not hear.

"Shut up its not like that" i said but i got on with my work anyway.

The lesson ended eventually but Miss Lola asked Joe to stay behind, something to do with homework.  So me and Jill walked out.

Jill gave me my birthday card that said IOU 1 cocktail. Jill was already 18 she turned it in the summer.

"You like Danny huh?" said Jill

"No" i said "he has a nice smile is all"

"If you say so"

"Shuut up" i said "Damn i left the keys on the table, its part of my birthday present. i will be right back"

I walked into the classroom not really paying attention and grabbed my keys. I turned around to see Miss Lola pressing Joe aggainst the wall and them both snogging each other. i stood there in shock. i felt like someone had stabbed my heart. Joe looked up and saw me 

"No, Jane wait...."

I ran out of the room in tears and outside to Jill who hugged me. Joe came running out after me.

"Its not what you think" joe said "She pushed me against the wall, she kissed me, i had no choice"

"You kissed her back i saw you"

"No i er..."

"Joe i saw you!"

Joe looked at me and got angry. "No she just wudnt let me go, but so what that makes us even! You snogged Mike as well as other stuff"

"how do you.." i started to say looking at Jill who shook her head.

"I read your diary when i was at yours the other day. How u thought he was cute and stuff when u met him and how he drugged u but u still knew what u were doing. If he hadnt had drugged you i would have broke up with you already" said Joe

"You stare at that bimbo all the time and im sick of it. i wouldnt be suprised if there was more going on" i said

"well that shows you dont trust me then, but thats fine because i dont trust you now either. Look screw this its not worth it" 

"what do u mean" i said 

"Im breaking up with you Jane. I cant be with someone i cant trust" shouted Joe and he stormed away.

I fell to the floor. I had never been in so much pain before. My heart physically hurt and i felt sick and neaseaus. Jill managed to pull me to my feet and pulled me to the nearest pub. 

She sat me down on a sofa near the window and i heard her go up to the bar and order me a whiskey and coke.

"You ok? nevermind dumb question" said Jill

"I should have told him" i said

"He was kissing the bimbo?"

"She had him pressed against the wall but it looked as though he was kissing her back, im sure he could have pushed her away if he wanted to. I wanted to be with him the rest of my life" i said 

My heart was really hurting. I just wanted to be alone in my bedroom and sleep 

"Drink this and then we will see what those keys go to. that might cheer you up" said Jill

I downed the glass. the whiskey burned the back of my throat and mouth and i felt a bit better but not much. Tears were rolling from my eyes fast and i could not stop them. Jill took me to her car and drove us to the address.

We knocked but there was no answer so i tried the key and it unlocked the door and had a look around. 

It was a small ground floor flat. it was fully furnished and had a huge tv in the living room. It had a sofa  and everything. We went into the kitchen and saw that it had everything in there too. Cooker, microwave etc etc. I looked in the cupboards and it was fully stocked with my favorite food and drink and on the counter was a bottle of vodka and whiskey and wineand a letter from my parents.

Dear Jane

Happy 18th! We thought it was about time you and Joe had a place of your own so here you are. I know its only a small 1 bedroom flat but i hope you like it. inside the envelope are all your outgoings you need to pay which i know you can afford and then have plenty left. Have a great birthday and try not to get too drunk. 

Lots of love

Mum and Dad

I burst into tears and Jill read the letter. This was supposed to be our first home but i am alone. When i calmed down i called my dad to thank him and i told him what happened. He said i didnt have to move in right away and that i could stay at his for as long as i wanted.

For the rest of the night Jill and myself decided to get wasted. So we drank both bottles that my dad left us and then went out and bought a load more. After a while the alcohol made it so i could have a laugh with Jill. I knew it was only temperary but i would take anything to stop my heart from aching.