chapter three - tulips

The clinking sound of beer bottles echoed throughout the bar. Drunk adults let out half-hearted laughs, followed by a swig of the drink in their palm. There was a table of gamblers in the corner sitting around a chipped table, letting out grunts when they received a bad deck. Their poker faces were unimpressive and were not going to get them the money they desire. Coins jiggled in the pockets of the dancers, thin ladies dressed in rhinestones and feather headbands. They giggled as they twirled across the stage to the soft sound of the piano. Men tossed coins at them, all while taking another swig of their home-brewed beer. The lights were dim and hopes dimmer. All these men had no place to go, other than the bar that'd fill them up on chips and wine.

Yet, in the center of the crowd was the Sheriff. Dancing with one of the underdressed-ladies. He grabbed her waist and yanked her closer, whispering false promises in her ear while she giggled. Every several minutes that went by she reached into his back pocket and withdrew a few coins; oblivious to the sheriff, who was too lost in her emerald-green eyes to consider.

Marcus watched this scene unfold with wide eyes, playing witness to the robbery that is this bar. The bar was just overpriced, watered-down beer and rigged card decks. The sheriff, leader of all crimes and warfare, was just a pawn in the dancer's mind game. Once the hour was up, the dancer would only return to the stage with money to spare.

"Alex would love this." Connor smiled, "People getting scammed legally; he's all in for that sorta thing." He finished. Connor was right, Alex would. Blake, however, seemed rather unamused and more bitter for such a horrible place being a gateway of memories towards his best friend.

"Let's just talk to this scum and get outta here," Blake muttered, marching right toward the officer. Marcus almost let out a gasp when he heard the sudden mood shift fall out of Blake's mouth.

"Look what we got here folks." The other policeman hiccuped, "Banker's son thinking he can play rough with the poor folk." He laughed, taking a big swig of beer. The lady on his lap laughed in such a mocking manner it set off the fire in Blake's eyes.

"Get outta here and run back to you're fancy carriages and horses, boy." The sheriff laughed, holding up another dollar bill for the girl sitting on his knee. She looked at the dollar like it was some puzzle.

"This all you got, officer." She winked, dragging a finger across his neck. He quickly pulled out another dollar and pressed it into her palm.

"Look, I'm here regarding-" Blake started.

"He did not just say regarding." Connor laughed, earning a distasteful frown from Marcus.

"Alex is gone, and we wanna know what it's gonna take to get him to top priority."

"Well, right now my only priority is this beer." The policeman laughed. Sending a wave of chuckles across the room.

"Five dollars, I'll get my team out searching right now, Banker Boy." The sheriff laughed.

"Five dollars! We barely got five cents, let alone five dollars." Connor groaned, getting another frown from Marcus.

"I'm sure for the banker's kid, getting a few extra bucks from daddy ain't that hard." The sheriff laughed, popping off a new bottle cap with his yellow teeth. Blake looked distressed, clearly thinking over situations in which he could get the money.

"Blake you ain't gonna do it? Right?" Marcus grimaced.

"Of course he's gonna do it if he wants to see his friend again. Even the kid's parents wouldn't pay for a small rescue party." The sheriff chuckled.

"You hairy, old, grey, pearly-sealed, package of horse shit!" Blake yelled across the room; the room fell silent. Even the piano man, Ron Triuz stopped his playing to locate the tall boy.

"Who do you think you are, boy?" The sheriff chuckled. Giving glances to the policemen surrounding him. The Two policemen ushered away the girls to stand up, gaining at least a foot over the boys.

"Please escort these boys out." The twisted men smiled. The two stronger men easily overpowered the boy, grabbing each one by the shoulder and dragging them out. Blake went without a fight, defeated. Marcus helped himself out, running faster than the constables. Connor put up a sad excuse of a fight, before giving in and being thrown out on the streets.

They spent much of the night, shivering in the icy cold, giving into their unwanted defeat.