Remnants of Despair

"Shuichi!"

The Ultimate Detective slowly looked up from the ground, seeing the blonde female approach him. She was wearing a fancy gown, with her hair done in neat curls. Her eyes were a light pinkish color, but they were tinted with a crimson red, and had hypnotic spirals. The Ultimate Pianist, Kaede Akamatsu, was a Remnant of Despair.

It wasn't a surprise to Shuichi, since he too was a Remnant. In fact, everyone in their class was a Remnant of Despair. Even Rantaro Amami, who had swore to never lose hope. Shuichi hadn't wanted to be a Remnant, but they hadn't given him a choice.

"Did you feel despair from my melody?" Kaede asked him with a psychotic smile, referring to the show she had just finished.

Shuichi gave her a slight nod. He hadn't really talked at all since he became a Remnant, since he had been forced to kill thousands of innocent people, since he had been forced to kill his uncle. He only gave hand gestures and a shake or nod of his head, very rarely uttering a few words to the Remnants of Despair he was comfortable around.

Those Remnants of Despair were Kaede, Kaito, Himiko, and Maki.

Kaede was his best female friend, and had been his main pillar of support during their normal everyday lives. She had been the second one to give into despair, even though she had been the leader of their resistance group. She was practically Shuichi's "owner", calling him "pet" every now and then.

Kaito Momota was Shuichi's best male friend, someone who had always pushed him to work harder. He was an inspiration to their entire class when it came to self-esteem and morale, with one of his old famous lines being, "What's impossible is possible, you just need to make it so!". He had been known around the world as the "Luminary of the Stars".

Himiko Yumeno was one of his closer friends, and one of the last few members to be in the resistance. She was the Ultimate Magician, but claimed to be a Mage who used real magic and not tricks. She was incredibly laidback and careless, and called everything a pain.

Maki Harukawa was also one of his closer friends, and also one of the last members of the resistance. She had two Ultimate Talents, one being her official title and the other an unofficial one. She was officially known as the Ultimate Child Caregiver, and unofficially known as the Ultimate Assassin. She hadn't really liked to take the jobs as an assassin, but it gave a good amount of funds to the orphanage where she had been living.

"Hey, where's that smile that I love?" Kaede asked him, placing a hand under his chin.

Shuichi shifted on his feet, forcing a smile onto his face. He knew that it wasn't their fault, it was Junko Enoshima's. It was the Ultimate Despair's fault that the whole world was plunged into despair, that their minds were twisted and bent. He wished he could use his gun on her, but he couldn't. Junko Enoshima was practically immortal and immune, like some Goddess of Despair. Besides, she always had her bodyguard/sister with her, Mukuro Ikusaba-- the Ultimate Soldier.

Every class of Hope's Peak Academy had been forced into despair, becoming puppets for Junko Enoshima to play with. The classes inside of the academy itself, and the class that was on the waiting list.

"No, you can do better." Kaede frowned, grabbing onto his arm. "There we go.... good, now stay like that."

Kaede grabbed onto the long cord that was attached to a metal collar around Shuichi's neck, a leash. The face of Monokuma was on the collar, and the red cord reminded him of the one Korekiyo always used. She turned away from him, walking with him towards the doors to leave the theater. Shuichi stiffened, ready to shoot anyone who tried to kill Kaede. He was her pet, after all. It was his job to protect her.

Even if he didn't want to.

~~~~

"Shuichi!"

The two Remnants of Despair had entered the headquarters of the Remnants of Despair, which was Hope's Peak Academy itself. The Ultimate Pianist let go of the leash, stepping out of the way as the Ultimate Astronaut charged towards them. The Ultimate Detective was tackled to the ground in a tackle, letting out a grunt as he hit the floor.

"How did your performance go, Kaede?" Kirumi Tojo, the Ultimate Maid, asked as she picked up Shuichi's machine gun.

"It was packed with despair, I think Junko would have loved it." Kaede answered, smiling at the thought. "Heh..... being adored by the Ultimate Despair herself..."

Shuichi turned his head, looking away from the two females. He had always hated it whenever Kaede talked like that about other people. He hated how he couldn't get over the crush he had on her. That crush was on the Kaede Akamatsu who believed in hope, who would never kill or harm anyone. Not the Kaede Akamatsu who craved a never-ending despair and ruined lives.

"Come on, Shuichi." Kaito grinned, picking Shuichi up and carrying him over his shoulder.

Shuichi said nothing as Kaito carried him up the staircase, and to the game room. Some of the other Remnants of Despair were inside, like Miu Iruma and Kokichi Oma. The Ultimate Astronaut placed him on one of the chairs, sitting down next to him. Kokichi almost immediately ran over to them, holding some type of tablet in his arms.

Shuichi immediately recognized it as a Monopad, one of the things used in the Killing Games for the motive videos. Kokichi always had his motive video on it, since it was the last footage of his organization members alive that he had. The Ultimate Supreme Leader had looked so broken when he saw that video... he refused to let go of it.

"Did you kill anyone today, Shuichi!? Did you, did you!?" Kokichi asked in a rush, his dark purple eyes sparkling.

Shuichi pursed his lips as he backed away from the Ultimate Supreme Leader, his discomfort showing. Kokichi had never been one for killing people or even hurting them, at least until he became a Remnant of Despair.

Shuichi only shook his head, not talking to the hyperactive Remnant. From one of the gaming machines, Miu looked at him in curiosity. She had always been curious about the relationship between him and Kaede, and why he had the collar around his neck. Only a few people knew about it being a symbol of Kaede's dominance over him, those people being Kaede herself, Shuichi himself, Kaito Momota, Junko Enoshima, Tsumugi Shirogane, Himiko Yumeno, and Maki Harukawa. Everyone else either didn't care about what accessories they had or weren't interested in knowing.

"Hey, Shuichi, you look like your about to pass out." Kokichi noticed, tilting his head. "Do I have to get Keebo to give you a wake up shock?"

Shuichi shook his head again, this time a little quicker. He hated the shocks that the Ultimate Robot gave him, they were always so painful and left parts of his body feeling numb. He wanted to die just at the thought of it. He... he just wanted to die....

But that would never happen, because he was the property of Kaede Akamatsu, the Ultimate Pianist. And she wouldn't let him die so easily.