Chapter 1

"Run, Flickerkit!" Dovetalon cried. Time seemed to stand still as the small orange and white kit stood there, watching her blood-covered father balance on a tree branch. The dog beneath the branch barked and snarled. "Please, just go." Dovetalon said, desperation in his voice. After a moment of hesitation, Flickerpaw turned around and ran, tears streaming down her eyes. Behind her, Flickerpaw heard her father crying for her. "Flickerkit! Flickerkit!"---

"Flickerpaw?" Flickerpaw slowly opened her eyes to see her best friend and denmate, Greypaw, standing over her. Flickerpaw groaned and rolled over. "Is it sunrise already?" She asked. "Unfortunately, yes." Greypaw said, rolling her eyes. "You talked all night. Come on, Robinflight wants us on a patrol." Flickerpaw rose to her paws and shook out her fur, following Greypaw out of the apprentice's den. 

As her eyes adjusted to the light, she saw Robinflight, the deputy and her mentor, standing next to Ratwhisker and Eaglepaw, clearly waiting for me. "You're up late." Robinflight meowed with a purr of amusement. Flickerpaw winced, remembering last night's dream. As they made their way out of BirchClan camp, Greypaw gazed at Flickerpaw with a sympathetic look in her eyes. "Did you have that dream with your dad again?" Greypaw asked quietly. Flickerpaw quickly nodded. "Don't worry." Eaglepaw said, purring. "If a dog came into camp, I would totally save you." Flickerpaw, despite her sadness, chuckled at Eaglepaw's misassessment of why Flickerpaw was upset. She couldn't help but notice how Eaglepaw and Greypaw were looking at each other. Everyone in BirchClan knew they would be mates someday.  "If you tried to fight a dog you would be crowfood." Ratwhisker scoffed. "Leave the fighting to the warriors."

"Don't listen to him." Greypaw whispered. "He's just a big grump!" Flickerpaw giggled. "Don't think I can't hear you." Ratwhisker hissed. For the rest of the hunting patrol, they were quiet.

When they got back into camp, Flickerpaw scanned the clearing. Everyone was running, meowing, or fighting. A large brown figure shot past her so fast it was almost like a blur. Robinflight's pupils dilated. "Dogs!" She hissed.