Chapter 11

From the corner of my eye, he shook his hand with the lawyer and nodded at the officers as they carried the four culprits back to their car, their faces burning at my back with hatred, their intentions speaking the truth they could do to me or what they had already done.

Seven years.

They would come back to me after seven years. What would I do then? Go back to Arnav to help me? Plead him to listen to me whilst he would be too busy to handle his own family and children? Or let the past repeat itself, try to act bold and mark each day as the seven years come nearer or leave the city and act as if I wasn't the girl I held on to. Isn't what dad suggested to that I should leave my identity and go somewhere else because people had started inspecting?

A warm hand grabbed mine and my face was pushed into a hard chest. "Don't look at them and torment yourself."

"Seven years," I repeated, my family at the back, waiting for me to come and join them. "He will come back after seven years. He will—" I took a deep breath. "I cannot. I—"

His hands engulfed my face. "I will not let anyone hurt you. Trust me, he will never come back to you." How do I trust anyone when it was me at the stake? How do I trust when I was shattered on the other end? Time wasn't healing the wounds. Every night, I think of the ways they could have enjoyed themselves. Every night, I relive the emotional pain again and again. "Even though, I had suspected this punishment."

"Arnav, it is too less," I cried at the back of my throat. "I don't want to live my life being scared."

"You will not. I promise to you everything will be okay. Trust me for a while." But I was scared of trusting you, scared to see the bloodlust in your eyes, scared of what your anger could do. If you didn't forgive your dad, I had no idea what grudge you held against them. "Your paintings."

I perked my ears. "What about them?"

"They are painful."

Shrugging his hands, I smirked at the sad reality. "You only said I don't expose myself. I guess I learned at last."

Black deep horror flashed across his face. "I never meant through this way, never this." But his eyes endeavour to speak more.

Say I am changed.

Say you didn't know this sad and gloomy Sanjana.

Say you were used to the mischievous and outspoken girl.

Say you lied about loving me.

"I should go."

"No, you are coming with me." What? "I asked your parents. They allowed." He didn't let me question, opened the back door and nodded to slide in but I wanted answers. Where were we going? How could my parents answer things for me when I had no idea what I was supposed to do anymore? How could he do things without asking me? Why everyone made decisions for me? "Sanjana—"

"I am going nowhere with you. You didn't tell me anything."

"It is a surprise. I need a break from those court sessions." Fingers slipped inside mine, tugging it gently. "Allow me to take you."

"But where?"

"I want you to meet someone." His lips curled in a small smile, the harsh winds of the winter clashing at my body. "Please come with me. Your bags are in the car. Sammy packed it."

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere." He checked his watch. "You will be surprised. Your dad is calling you." Nodding his head at the back, he withdrew to talk to his driver whilst I walked back to see dad and the conversations from the last night surfaced back.