One

I stared blankly at the plain white ceiling before me as I laid still on my bed. The sound of the continuous pitter-patter of rain on the roof filled my ears. It never stopped pouring– I know because my thoughts had kept me up all night once again. Then again, it never stopped. The storming inside my head never stopped.
   There was a loud thunder accompanied by lightning which startled me, made me close my eyes tightly and grasp onto the covers. I took a shakey breath as a single salty tear escaped from my eye. Even though I'm already seventeen years old, heavy rains and thunder still scares me– even though I'm already used to all the raining, my fear of it never seemed to leave.
   I struggled to get out of bed once again. It was a school day, so I had no choice. I went to the mirror and stared at the exhausted looking girl before me. Bloodshot eyes with dark circles underneath; pimples scattered everywhere; thin chapped lips; bloated stomach and flabby arms.
   Back then, I never really cared about what I looked like. I accepted myself, I accepted me. But that was back then– before the people around me told me that I wasn't acceptable. They made me realize that if you're not beautiful, or talented, or popular... you're not important and acceptable.
   I got ready for school and went downstairs. There stood my Aunt Monna, cooking breakfast. I felt guilty. I lived with her ever since I could remember. She took care of me when my parents refused to do so. I felt as if I was a burden to her. Even though she always says that I'm not, the thought never left my mind.
   I greeted her goodmorning and kissed her forehead. We had our typical morning. We ate breakfast and chatted for a bit. I was in a middle of talking when I saw her eyes on my wrist. She looked as if she was in more pain than I was.
   "I'm sorry... I'm going to be late. I'll see you later." I said in a soft voice and headed out.
   I really was sorry. How many times she had told me to stop– she even begged– but I just can't. I can't explain how the pain soothes me, but it does.
   I felt the tears forming in my eyes and I quickly wiped them away. I hurriedly went to school to get it over with. After eight hours or so, it was finally over. I was the first one out of the classroom. I couldn't risk being bullied again like what happened during lunch.
   I continued rushing for the door even though my friends are callling for me. I bit my lip and tried to stop myself from crying as much as I can.
   As I was walking home, I felt a drop of liquid on the tip of my nose. At first I thought that it was only my imagination, but then, it started to rain heavily. Again. I whispered a cuss to myself and made a run for it. I reached home soaking wet. I heard Aunt Mona call for me but I ignored it and continued running towards the bathroom. I opened the bathroom door and there stood a boy with a shocked face the same as me. I let out a shriek and, he too, screamed.
   "Who are you?!" I demanded, still startled from what's happening. There's a stranger using our bathroom. When he didn't answer me immediately, I pulled up my sleeve and struggled to take off one of my converse shoes as fast as I can and pointed it at him as if I was holding a weapon. "Answer me!"
   "Woah! Easy there! I'm too young to be killed by a shoe!" He said in a joking tone and held up his two hands as if he was surrending. I threw my shoe at him and it hit his head. I took my other shoe and was about to throw it at him until he said, "I'm Arden! Seventeen years old, I live with my mom next door, I study at the highschool nearby, I weighed six pounds when I was born–"
   I cut him off, "What? What does that have to do with this?!"
   "I thought I had to tell you every detail of my life for you to put down the shoe. That hurt–" he stopped mid sentence with his hand on his forehead where my shoe hit him. I was confused. Then I saw him looking at my wrist. I instantly dropped the shoe and pulled my sleeve back down.
"Hey, your wrist–" he was cut off when Aunt Mona appeared by the stairs.
    "Cass, I see you've already met our new neighbor. And oh my, you're soaked. Go dry up and change. After you do, come downstairs for dinner. Come on Arden, let's wait in the living room with your mother. I'd like to know you two better." She said with a sweet smile, wrinkles by her eyes showing.
   "Okay, Miss Greene." Arden answered and followed Aunt Mona to the living room. I let out a sigh of relief, grasping my wrist loosely. I got fresh clothes from my room and changed into them. I applied make up onto my wrist, hoping it would cover it. I went downstairs and I immediately heard their laughing.
   They were in a middle of a conversation when I went inside the living room. "Oh, Olivia, meet my niece, Cassandra. Cassandra, these are our new neighbors. This is Olivia and her son, Arden. But I believe you and him have already met." Aunt Monna laughed softly.
   I gave them both a small smile. "Hi, Cassandra. It's nice to meet you." Olivia said in a soft voice. "It's nice to meet you too." I said to her then my eyes went to Arden.
   "It's nice to meet you, Cassy!" He said in an annoying tone. I glared at him and he just laughed.
   We all went to the dining room and had our dinner. I got to know them for the little time we had. They moved in just this morning. Olivia was a single mom, and the reason, they kept for themselves. Arden was in my grade. He was noisy, talkative, and annoying. He kept telling jokes that are just terrible. When I finished my dinner, I excused myself from the table and headed back to my room.
   I turned on my phone and saw a message from mom. Excitement filled me. I opened the message and read it.