2

Shawn.
I tapped anxiously on the counter, waiting for her arrival. I checked the time for what felt like the tenth time that minute; 12:38.

She'll be here any minute.

The little bell rang as my head shot go in anticipation, only to see a small, elderly couple. I sighed and watched as they sat in a booth, the man grabbing a menu for both him and the woman. I smiled weakly before focusing my attention back on the marble counter in front of me.

"This seat taken?" A voice asked. I looked up at grinned at the girl in front of me. She sat beside me and rested her head in the palm of her hand.

"As much as I love you, Kenzie. It is taken," I told her. Her eyebrows raised in amusement as she turned her body towards me.

Kenzie was a waitress at this diner. I was a regular here, I used to come here a lot in high school for breakfast. She was around my age, just one or two years younger than me.

"Oh?" She asked with a small smirk. "By who?" As if on cue, the bell rang once again and she walked in. I admired her from afar as she looked around the small diner. Her eyes finally landed on mine and she grinned.

"This is interesting." Kenzie teased as she rose from her chair, smiling at the girl.

"Kenzie, this is Lydia. My, um-" I froze, thinking of what my next words would be. I had to choose carefully.

Was she my girlfriend? We'd only been on a few dates, but we've known each other for a while now. She's definitely not a friend, that's for sure.

"While you both make an executive decision between yourselves, I'm going to get started with work." She said, sending me a small wink. "Nice meeting you, Lydia."

"You too," she grinned as Kenzie walked behind the counter and into a back room. Lydia looked back at me with a small smile on her lips.

"You two seem pretty close," she observed while taking the menu into her hands. I copied her actions but shook my head.

"Kenzie? I mean, sure, she's a friend of mine-" I explained, clearing my throat gently. "-but that's all. We met just over a year ago, she's more of a younger sister to me," I reassured her. Lydia nodded and bit her lip, containing a smile.

"That's good to hear." She nodded to herself.

"We're on the fourth date and you're already getting jealous?" I teased with a smirk. She rolled her eyes and looked at me.

"Don't flatter yourself, Mendes."

"The date went well, I assume?" Kenzie asked as Lydia exited the diner. I smiled, touching my cheek where she had previously kissed me. I felt my cheeks redden slightly as I cleared my throat.

"Some might say so," I responded with a small shrug. She wiped down the counter and tossed the cloth over her shoulder.

I watched as she walked over to the elderly couple from earlier, collecting their dishes and wishing them a nice day. The couple smiled widely at her and wished her well, eventually standing up and walking out hand in hand.

"That was cute," I observed with a weak smile. Kenzie looked at me as she took out a large cake. She began to slice it and placed it back into the glass cabinet.

"What was?" She asked.

"That old couple." I responded. She wiped her hands on her apron and chuckled softly to herself. "What?" I asked. She turned to me and I could tell she was holding back laughter.

"Nothing, it's just - I never imagined you to find things cute," she explained, still clearly amused.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"Well, aren't most guys like, Hm. I wonder how many girls I can fuck today?" She asked, lowering her voice to imitate a boy.

"That's what you think all guys are like?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. "So stereotypical." She laughed and hung her apron up on a nearby hook.

"Am I wrong?" She asked with a soft smirk. I rolled my eyes and took out a slice of cake from the counter while shrugging.

"No, but that's not the point." I said in defence.

"I beg to differ, Shawn," she remarked. She walked into the back room and soon returned, holding her purse in one hand.

"You're leaving so early?" I asked. She pouted her lips gently and walked over to me.

"Is someone wanting me to stay?" She asked. I laughed sarcastically as she chuckled. "I only had an afternoon shift today, Lisa was out for the day," she said, rolling her eyes.

"Lisa? She's still here?" I scoffed. Kenzie laughed and nodded.

"Unfortunately." She muttered. "All I've heard about for the past month is oh, Kenzie! You should see the ring! And Kenzie, is Thailand or the Bahamas more appropriate for a wedding?" She said, clearly irritated. I couldn't help but laugh at how flustered she was getting.

"Which one did you choose?" I asked, smirking. She looked at me and shook her head.

"Don't even start, Mendes."