Cast In Steel (Morten Harket x Reader)

You watched the trees and rails go by as the afternoon sun guided the way of the train you were sitting in. The silent vibrations brought by its movement let you drift off. You were thrown back to a memory.

"What do you mean 'you've got to go'? Where will you go?"

He looked down, then off into the distant fields.

"I will attend some business in London. Start a career. For... quite a while. It may be months or years even. I cannot tell at this point."

With a pitiful smile he looked at you. You could read the bittersweet feelings in his gaze.

"I...", you began and paused, trying to find the right words. "If it is your wish and destiny, go. Pursue your dreams. I hope you will be successful in the greatest extend. I have no right to hold you back, for it's your life and your choice."
You looked at him, sharing the bittersweet expression.
"I wish you the best of luck. Even though it sure does hurt to let you go..."

You had a lump in your throat and your heart ached already. He had to go, you knew. As much as you wanted to yell "Don't go" and "I need you here", you knew it would be beyond selfish.

He walked up to you and put his hands on your shoulders.

"A goodbye for now does not mean farewell forever. I hold my heart here. This is my home."
Sincere and honest eyes looked down into yours.
"I promise that I will return. We will meet again."

You put one of your hands onto his.
"Then I will gladly wait for your return."

You sighed. How long had it been? 6 years? Or longer?
It didn't really hurt all that much anymore but still, he and his words just wouldn't leave your head.

You had known him since you had been children. You had always played together and shared your secrets. In hot summers you had eaten popsicles down by the creek with your feet dangling in the water. In freezing winters either your or his mother had made you the best hot chocolate you ever had, still to this day. And you'd have laughed and sat by the fireplace. Your childhood had been complete. Later on in school when you had been teenagers, girls would've started to swoon over him in the later years. He had been one of a kind. Raising orchids, developing musical talent and hell, he'd even considered becoming a priest. His heart and mind were set in the clouds. He'd dreamed of fulfillment and success. Even though he'd had a hard time in school, getting beat up after school by bullies lots of times, it never ceased to lower his confidence and self-esteem.
He knew his worth and what he could do.
And after his dreams he chased and pursued what he wished for.

You, on the other hand, had been a little humbler and shyer and modest. You always tried to blend in, not getting much attention. You feared being ridiculed. However, if necessary, you knew when to stand up for yourself or others. You have always insisted on staying individual and a person of your own, even though you tried to move with the crowd in order to not gain too much attention. You had had good to average grades and had managed to get a good degree.

You had started a job you loved and liked to work at. The payment was alright as well. You lived in a small apartment on your own. Everything was great and you couldn't complain. With your loving family and trusty circle of friends you had a stable social life.
If it wasn't for him missing.

I'll never get over what we said. It lingers in my head.

The words of your vows, as cheesy as it sounded, never left your head. They kept repeating over and over. Someone could have woken you up in the middle of the night and asked you about it and you could have easily repeated the words without hesitation or having to think.