. the red yarn appears .

A little boy tugged on a piece of yarn.

Well, to be more specific, the little boy's name is Cyrus Goodman, and the yarn is actually something that connects soulmates. That adds a little more weight to the yarn being tugged.

Cyrus has absolutely no idea what the yarn is even for. He's only about 6 years old, so that means he understandably has no idea how important the piece of yarn he is tugging on is.

Actually, on the topic of how important that yarn is, it would probably be good to explain exactly how soulmate yarn works.

Basically, soulmates are connected by a red piece of yarn that doesn't appear to them until they meet their soulmate or soulmates. So, in the case of Cyrus Goodman, he had just met his soulmate. However, the piece of yarn grows the more you see your soulmate, so the piece of yarn Cyrus is tugging on is only about a few inches long. Be rest assured, however, that the yarn will almost certainly grow in the future as Cyrus gets to know his soulmate.

This soulmate that Cyrus has just met is TJ Kippen, an energetic little boy who's been running through the zoo with his sister, Amber, who we'll talk about later. He ran into Cyrus as he was rushing towards the penguin exhibit, and just started excitedly talking to Cyrus about said penguins.

"They're so cool, right? My favorite penguins are the macaroni ones because they have macaroni in there name and macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite foods."

"Yeah! The macaroni ones have cool hair, so they're my favorite too, but they don't have them here and it makes me sad." Cyrus immediately started screaming about penguins along with TJ while their parents just kind of watched and let other parents glare at them.

After a few minutes of penguin facts and an exchange of names, TJ and Cyrus finally went to different exhibits. However, just shortly after they both left the exhibit, Cyrus found a piece of red yarn in his pocket that had definitely not been there before.

"Mom, look at this! There's a piece of yarn in my pocket!" Cyrus turned back towards his mom as they walked and held up the piece of yarn to her.

"That's great, sweetie! Where did you get it from?" Mrs. Goodman replied, somewhat concerned about where Cyrus got the piece of yarn in the first place.

"Well, it was just kinda in my pocket. I have no clue where it's from."

"What? Are you sure you don't know where it's from?" Mrs. Goodman is even more concerned now, because if she knows anything, it's that random pieces of string don't just casually appear in pockets.

Mrs. Goodman had never met her soulmate, so it makes sense that she doesn't get what her son has at first. She's mainly just thinking Cyrus had just forgot about picking a random piece of string off the ground and putting it in his pocket at this point.

"Well, honey, it's red.. maybe it's the string?" Mr. Goodman, however, does have a solid understanding of soulmate yarn, and was able to identify it pretty quickly.

"Oh! You're right, do you really think it could be his soulmate yarn piece?"

Cyrus, who's completely oblivious to his parents and their conversation now, started to tug on the yarn.

TJ fell into the feeling pool at the aquarium.

When Cyrus tugged the string, TJ ended up falling over from the tug due to the connection. He splashed straight into the pool with the sting rays, and was immediately helped back up by Amber.

"Aw geez, Amber, what are we gonna tell mom when she sees me like this?" TJ nervously fidgeted around Amber as they walked over to their mom, who was looking at fish tanks a little bit away from the feeling pool.

"Don't worry, Teej, mom may be harsh sometimes but she's not gonna get you in trouble just for accidentally falling face first into the sting ray pool." Amber giggled when she said all of it out loud. She loved her little brother, but she also was able to take joy in seeing her little brother do embarrassing things.

"Hey! It wasn't my fault! I have no clue how I fell in!" TJ immediately got defensive with Amber, as he always did in these situations.

"That's what they all say." Amber was laughing loudly now, or at least loud enough for their mom to hear them and run over.

"Jesus, what happened to you?" TJ's mom ran up to him and gave him a hug. "Did you fall into a fish tank somehow?"

"Not a fish tank, actually, but the sting ray pool!" Amber walked up closer to her mom and her brother, still giggling at what her brother did.

"We need to get you dried off, TJ! We were gonna be leaving soon anyway, do you guys want to get ice cream and sit outside for a bit so TJ can dry off?"

"YES!"

"Alright, then it's settled, let's get to the car then!"

TJ left the zoo, and wouldn't see Cyrus for another 7 years. When they see each other again, however, it's under a much different context.