12: a threat

We spent the next hour or so in silence, with him blurting out something that Steve said every so often. I listened intently, rarely doing anything but humming in response and playing with his hair. He just needed me to listen, and I could do that. After a while of silence, I looked down to see his eyes lightly shut and his breathing consistent.

With a minute or so to peel myself away, I fixed my clothes, redid my hair, slipped my shoes back on and walked out the door. Regardless of my desire to stay with Bucky as long and often as I could, I had work to do. Though to be honest, I had no idea what I would be assigned after Bucky. If I clutched to the idea of me leaving with him, there would be a lot to sort out. Then again, I couldn't picture myself leaving.

I went down to the supplies department and wrapped up the plans for new security in the cell, helped Agent Damon with a supply list the two of us would pick up when we landed, then went for a trip around the control center, where I bumped into a frantic and determined Agent Hill.

As she sped by me, I roped my arm around her shoulder and forced her to stop.

"Brookes, I appreciate the hug but there's work to be done." She spat, aiming to walk by again.

"Nope," I stood in front of her. "What's going on?"

"Hydra's going on." She stated, brushing a hand over her forehead.

I could almost feel my heart skip a beat. What in the world did that mean? "Excuse me?"

"All of this time we've spent on Tony's toys, we've forgotten about our old friends. We actually didn't expect them to fight back after we sent your team in." She pursed her lips. "They're searching for us so they can get their hands on the captive."

I stood in silence. Of course, I could deal with a few Hydra agents ... but we were unprepared as a whole. And I could not, would not let them take Bucky back. He'd come too far and I would not let him go. I just couldn't.

I nodded sharply. "Okay," My voice squeaked. I cleared my throat and shook my head, playing the noise off as a mistake. "Just have the team prepared for all measures. I'll secure the captive."

"Agent Brookes, they didn't give us a clear message as to when they would attempt it."

I shook my head. "Doesn't matter, thank you for informing me." With that, I stalked away. With my duties done, I was heading back to my room to secure Bucky, but it seemed I was too late.

A ragged and loopy Bucky was among two other men. His head hung low but his red arms and neck showed a near panic attack that he tried to conceal with all his might. He didn't fight back in anger this time, exhausted to the point of defeat.

I pointed to Fury, anger boiling in my chest.  "Let him go."

"Agent Brookes, he must be returned to his cell." He replied, hand gripped tight on Bucky's real arm.

I shook my head. "Let him go."

"Agent-"

My hand shot up from my waistband and in it was a handgun. I aimed it towards his head. "Wouldn't mind dying a second time, would you?"

"Maisie, pl-" Steve aimed to step forward.

I glared at him. "Let the captive go or I force you to."

"What makes him so important to you? He's a drone, Agent Brookes. You babying him doesn't change that. He's your prisoner, not your friend." Fury's attempt to calm me was a little more than useless.

Bucky feebly shook his head, drawing it up so he looked at me. "Please," He mouthed.

My hand dropped to my side and I exhaled. "He was and he is a real person. He had friends, he was loved, and he stood for something. You're right in saying he's been turned into a raving drone. And yes, his friends are dead or dying ... but he's still human. You have no right to treat him like an animal."

Fury was about to speak up when Steve shook his head, letting go of Bucky's arm. "Let them go. Agent Brookes is taking care of him. That's all we need at the moment."

"And you're not at all concerned that she's abusing her situation with him, Captain Rogers?" Fury disputed.

"Just because she's a woman doesn't mean she's being driven by sex. She's one of your best agents and you know that. Just let them go." He replied, and Fury's hand dropped.

Bucky's exhale was prominent. I gestured the two men away and I helped Bucky back to my room as they watched. Once panic attacks left, the victim was usually drained and ill-feeling. Knowing that, I set him back on the bed and retrieved a cold washcloth for his forehead.

He took a few minutes to calm down, then spoke up in a raspy voice. "What was that about?" His voice was almost joking, trying to lighten the mood. "They just unlocked the door and barged in. I thought it was you so I wasn't on the defensive. They just grabbed me."

I smiled sweetly, running my hand down his arm. "Nothing you need to worry about."

He took the answer ... for a few seconds. "Will it hurt you?" He asked, his voice a weird mix of anger and concern.

I shook my head. "Not if I can help it. Now, no more questions."

He nodded and continued to look at me as I looked back.

All of a sudden, he let out a giggle. "You pulled a gun on them."

I narrowed my eyes. "Is that funny to you?"

He nodded. "You remind me of someone, though. An old friend, I guess."

I smiled. "Do you remember their name?"

His eyes darted across my face, lips pursed. "I want to say Carter, but I don't think so."

I nodded, falling quiet again. His right hand fell to my stocking-clad knee, and my hand ran across his arm. My eyes dropped to the rising and falling of his chest. I thought of what it was like before he came. I had completely forgotten a time without him near. I didn't really want to, honestly. I wanted him there. I couldn't put my finger on why exactly, but I did. And then that adamant thought came back.

     I would risk my life to save him. Hell, I'd give my life if it meant he'd live in peace.