Un nouveau départ

Max glared at the house as they drove up, the light pink walls and white trim so out of place in the forest, the once bright colors muted from sun exposure. God he hated this so fucking much. Turning he glared at the back of the driver's seat. David was still happily humming away, the farmers almanac play lowly over the speakers. Max had given up bothering David hours ago, the redhead's never ending optimism way too much when Max couldn't get away. So here he was, after an eight hours drive, and an even longer one the day before, at the Pink Palace Apartments.

Max huffed, sinking lower into his seat, Mr. Honeynuts tucked carefully into his side. David parked the car, the moving van backing in behind them. David jumped out to help the movers, all bright smiles and cheer. Max slowly pulled himself from the car, grumpily trudging up into the house.

The house was old, the wood creaking under the 10 year old's feet. He stood in the doorway looking around. All the colors were dulled from age, some of the paint flaking off of the walls. A dusty carpet was on the floor, leading down the hall. Max pulled a face, gross.

Hearing David's voice nearby, Max ran up the stairs. There was no fucking way he was getting roped into the moving boxes in.

The upstairs wasn't much better, dull colors and dusty floors. Goddamn this place was so bleak and boring.

There was a hallway with three doors branching off of it, all of which were open. The first one was across the hall from the stairs, a smallish bedroom, just the bed frame and mattress in the room. The next was at the end of the hallway to the right of the stairs, another bedroom. This one was a bit bigger and had its own bathroom, a few pieces of furniture already moved in.

The last room was another bedroom, this one bigger than the others and at the opposite end of the hall than the others and around a corner, all by itself. There were windows across the walls, looking out over the nonexistent front garden. The only furniture was the built in shelves and a bed frame. It was nice, well as nice as this shitty old house could be, placed right on the corner of the house, and it looked like if Max really wanted he could get out onto the roof from the windows.

Grinning Max turning and ran down the stairs, nearly crashing into the moving guys, who were busy attempting to move a mattress up the stairs. He looked around, spotting David by the car before running out to him.

"Hey, Dad," Max yelled, getting David to look up at him, "Can I have the corner room?" David smiled, nodding his head.

"Of course you can, Max." David's cheery grin from earlier back in place as he handed Max his backpack and suitcase from the car.

"Fuck yes!" Max yelled, running back into the house and up to the room, but not before he heard David yell "Language!" from behind him. Max threw his backpack up onto the bed, gently placing Mr. Honeynuts next to it, and put his suitcase at the end of his bed. He had more furniture but he didn't know if the movers would actually carry all of the stuff upstairs.

Max lay down on the bed, frown up at the cracked ceiling. Of fucking course, god this house was so damn old. Why the fuck did they have to move to the middle of nowhere Oregon?

Max waited until the movers left before emerging from his room. He was right, the movers didn't put anything else in the rooms besides the bed frames and mattresses. Although they did move the boxes label for the rooms upstairs, which now lined the hallway.

He made his way down the stairs, peeking into the dining room before continuing into the kitchen. David was in there, looking over some of the boxes and moving them according to the label.

"Oh hey there Max!" David smiled as he noticed Max in the room, turning to face him. "What do ya think of the new house?" David had that stupidly bright smile of his face again, green eyes shining.