Part 1: The Absence of Mother's Lullaby

A/N: Small note, before I start, this will be a short story DW Fanfiction inspired by penderruth. It will be slightly longer, but I still intend it to be short compared to my other novels. If you haven't read her fanfiction, go check it out! It's called Deleted. Also, thanks to SelenaKeijzer for making me this lovely cover :) Go, check her out, she doing some amazing work!

Part 1: The Absence of Mother's Lullaby

It started with a melody, a soft lullaby sung as a child to fight the nightmares that crept into your head and the ghouls and monsters that hid under your bed. When the darkness came, so did all of your fears as small as the wind whipping against the windows all the way to the shadow of the branches against the white lace curtains.

But, your mother was gone that night and there were no soft lullabies meant to lull you to sleep as the shrill sound of a scream echoed from the kitchen. So, you decided to tiptoe down the stairs to follow the sound only to find a man with a long brown coat kneeling over your mother.

You were shy and scared, so you hid behind the wall, but he spotted you. He slowly walked over to you and knelt down taking your hand gently in his.

"I'm sorry, so sorry, I couldn't save her. What's your name?"

"A-Ava, what happened to my mum?" You trembled as you stared up at the tall stranger.

His words were kind and his brown eyes seemed concerned as he watched you unable to understand what you were actually thinking.

"You're going to forget, it will slip away like a bad memory Ava, remember to not be afraid. Be brave Ava, no matter how bad things get."

Your eyes briefly slipped over to the body of your mother resting on the floor, she looked like she was sleeping and in a peaceful state, but she was gone. Her brown curly hair lost its bounce and her eyes no longer contained the twinkle when she made you pancakes on a Sunday morning.

So, he placed his fingers lightly around your temple and relieved the pain. Standing up, he glanced one last time at your face before slowly turning away.

"Goodbye, little Ava."

Then he left and you forgot about him, and you forgot about your mother, but not the soft lullaby she used to sing to you, never that.

~Five years later ~

Life continued as it should and you forgot about that night. Your mother and past was a distant memory though sometimes you heard it in the whispers of the willow trees after a rainstorm.

Every once in a while, you would turn around and briefly glance a long brown coat, but it would turn out to be something else and not the mysterious man from your childhood.

Especially, when a familiar man named Mr. Smith took on one of your classes as a substitute teacher and Mr. Richardson never came back to claim his role as a teacher.

Later, you found out that he had gone missing, but no one knew why.

"Hello Ava, do you need help with your math homework?" Mr. Smith crouched down next to your desk and pulled on his black glasses before inspecting your blank piece of paper.

You scrunched your forehead, and tried to hide your confusion, before nodding slowly.

Mr. Smith only smiled and went up to the chalkboard to show you the problem you were stuck on.

"I don't understand, there are too many shapes and figures, why does math have to be so complicated?"

The teacher only laughed and smiled at that turning back to you.

"Alright, let's take it from the start Ava, you'll get it this time."

"No, I won't, this is stupid and I'll never understand it, just give up on me Mr. Smith, I'm failing. Everybody else has." You looked down at the multiple pieces of eraser and your chewed up pencil in frustration.

"No! Never give up Ava, don't let people think you are less than you truly are. You are brilliant Ava! Alright? Now, let's take it from the beginning."

You sighed, pouting slightly, but getting back to your homework.

Then, Mr. Smith left, he never told the class that yesterday was his last day and for a split second, you spotted a peculiar blue box amidst the courtyard right on top of the green grass. It was there and he was there for a minute watching you from outside of the classroom. The moment you noticed him he went inside the police box and a loud whirring sound echoed through the open window. The blue box vanished instantly and you never saw Mr. Smith again.

Ever since that day, you always put it off as part of your imagination, but one part of you still wondered who Mr. Smith really was and had the smallest feeling that you had seen him before. Of course, you shook it off and did not speak of that day again for the fear of being seen as crazy.

But, the blue box held a place in your imagination that no one could take away from you as long as you kept the secret to yourself.
*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

A/N: Small note, this will be divided into three sections, so don't worry, the story is not over yet! If you enjoyed reading this, please go ahead and click that vote button and leave me a message! :)