Part 6

PEPPER

Thor leaves after a while, making sure I'm okay, making sure Clint is. He says he's checking on Scott and then going back to Wakanda, going round New York. Anywhere they need his help.
'I'd go too, but...' He trails off, gesturing to Lila who is now asleep in his arms.
'I understand.' Thor says, 'she needs you.' He walks out the door and lightning strikes again. I stay on the sofa a while, until I feel too sick, like I'm about to throw up.
I rush out of the room, into the toilet and throw up. Clint follows behind me, staying outside the door so as not to invade my privacy.
'Hey Pep, you okay?' He asks, concerned.
'Fine.' I say, 'I'm fine. Go back to Lila.'
He hovers for a moment, and then leaves. I throw up again, and then sit on the bathroom floor. Head in my hands. And then I realise Clint hasn't left, he's sat on the floor outside.
'Laura didn't get morning sickness for Cooper, but Lila and Nathaniel, God, she was in the toilet every other minute.' He says. And of course he knows. He's the only one of all of us to have kids. Of course he knows.
'I only found out yesterday.' I say.
'Congratulations.' He says, and he means it. I look to him and I love him so much, because in the midst of this mess, he means it.
'Thank you.' I say.
'He'll be back.' He says, looking down the hallway, 'Nothing could keep him away from you. Nothing ever has.'
'But this is random. This isn't him. This is half the universe is alive and the other half isn't. Tony can't control that.' I say.
'No, I guess not. But he'll be back.' He says.
'Yeah.' I say, 'yeah.'