The Morning Glories are in Bloom (Enthusiast Entry for the Attys)

(A/N: This poem was written by me the day I found out about my friend’s death a year ago in October.  It rained that day, and at twelve forty-five, lunch time, my best friend pointed out sadly that the morning glories were still blooming.  That’s what inspired this poem.  I hope you like it.)

A year ago, I strolled into class and saw a once empty seat occupied

by a young girl with brownie hair and smiling eyes.

She was sweet as sugar, funny as a kitten with a yellow ball of yarn, and accepting of any differences that came her way.

Her smile was loved and cherished by everyone.  The sun shone bright on that first day she came.

Friday of last week, she was on her way to support her fellow students

when fate had a sudden turn, and crashed into her without a warning.

She soon lay on a bed of white, conscious of nothing, listening to the robotic beeps of her heart as it struggled to keep her alive.

Friends mourned.  Her family prayed in sorrow.  Teachers placed flowers on her empty desk.

They prayed that God would help their angel live.

Today, fate turned once again for the worse, as her final heartbeat faltered and flatlined.

Today, the sky turned grey, realizing that her sunshine was gone.

Today, the clouds cried, showing their sorrow for the lost light.

Today, the Morning Glories bloomed, expressing their acknowledgement that they gained a friend  they would cherish until she returns to us.

R.I.P Angelica McGill