Chapter Eleven: Real Life

Very unedited

Lola had read and re-read the article about her and Malcolm a million times. She couldn't believe this was happening again. Couldn't she just be happy in her relationship? Was that to much to ask?

She groaned face planting in to the silk bedsheets of the hotel bed, burying her face in the white pillow. Her phone buzzed, it was Oliver.

Phone me now xox

She knew what this would be about. Yesterday Oliver had left to stay at his parents house for the week to do some catching up and as soon as he leaves this article was released. There was no way Oliver hadn't seen it. The phone didn't even ring twice before Oliver picked up on the other line.

'Hey.'
Lola spoke

'Hey.'
Oliver replied,
'So I saw the article.'

Lola groaned,
'I guessed as much.'

'...and I just wanted to phone you to ask what happened before I made any assumptions under false pretences—'

'—i swear Oliver! nothing happened between me and him. We're just friends.'

Oliver sighed on the other line,
'I really want to trust you Lola, but my mind keeps wandering back to that one photos you guys are hugging and his face is in your neck, it doesn't look like a friendly hug Lola.'

'I know, I know, but you just really have to trust me okay? It looks way worse then it is..I was only hugging him because he offered to pay for my coffee.'
Lola explained.

'It just fucking sucks you know? When everyone is constantly speculating weather or not you are cheating, or all the 1,000's of people who want to see you leave me for some YouTuber that has a crush on you! That you've only met once for that matter'

'I'm sorry Oli, I know this sucks. It fucking sucks okay? But I love you, and only you.'

'And I love you too. But I think I need a break.'

'W-what?'

'Not forever, I just need to sort my head and everything.'

'Oh.'

'I'll still be your date to the premiere.....that is if you want me to.'

'Yeah....yeah! Of course, I love you Oliver.'

'I love you too Lola. Talk soon?'

'Yeah okay.'

'Bye.'

'Wait Oli-'

But Oliver had hung up before Lola could finish her sentence. she had only noticed her hands were shaking and bottom lip was trembling after he had hung up. She wanted to phone him back. Scream at him, tell him that he was being ridiculous and that they didn't need a break because they loved one another and everyone else could just fuck off. But she didn't. She respected Oliver and she wanted a future for them, so instead she phoned Corinna. She told her what had happened and that all she wanted to do right now was have a drink, so Corinna told her that she would organize something tonight and Lola should come to her place at seven.

It was six o'clock and Lola was sitting at the vanity, Evangeline beside her as they applied makeup for the night ahead. Lola wasn't excited, all she could think about was Oliver.

A break?

What did that even mean?

Her mind was overflowing with thoughts that despite how much she tried still ran ramped in her brain.