Why Am I Here? | Todd Hewitt x Reader

Requested by AritheGreat05

I've been trying to want to read the Chaos Walking trilogy again because I miss it so greatly but of course the movie might be delayed at that HURTS me-

Anyway if the trailer doesn't come out by the end of November then it is definitely delayed RIP

///

He threw you in here because you were a woman.

Why that made you a suspect for anything, you weren't sure. 

You'd stumbled into Haven for help. You needed food and water - you were starving on your own. And apparently, you'd stumbled straight into a town on the brink of war with women. Nothing made sense. The Mayor you'd met had no Noise. You didn't know what was going on, or how he pulled that off, or anything.

At least they'd given you a plate of food for the time being.

After you ate and drank two cups of water, you were left to just sit there. You were knocked out when they'd dragged you into the room you were in, so you had no idea where they had put you. But on a floor far below you, you heard Noise. It sounded like jumbled nonsense until whoever it was walked in the door, carrying a stack of clothes.

His Noise was filled with a lot of worry and annoyance. He was cursing at the Mayor and then stopping abruptly to worry about a girl named Viola, like if he said something bad about the guy, that Viola would be hurt. 

"I brought clothes," he said. 

You looked at him and dragged your knees closer to your chest. He placed the clothes on the ground next to you and then paused, eyes on yours. But you wouldn't look at him.

"Yer from the Answer?" he asked. 

"No," you said. "No, I don't even know what that is."

She ain't gonna know nothing 'bout Viola, his Noise said. 

"No, I don't," you said. "I don't know anything about what's going on here!" You finally looked at him. He really did just look like a scared young boy. "I just needed shelter, food, and water. Please. Please don't let them kill me, I don't know what I am doing here." Your eyes were wet.

She's gonna be Asked, he thought. 

"What's that? What does that mean?" you asked him. 

He swallowed and looked sick as flashes of women being tortured by the men that found you went through his head. You gasped and shook your head. 

"I'm sorry," he said. 

"What do I do?" you asked. "How do I escape?"

"You can't," he said. "Maybe you can convince 'em yer not part of the Answer, I dunno."

"They won't believe me," you whispered. You dropped your head. "I'm dead."

No, he thought.

"No," he said. "I'll help you, got it? But you gotta help me. There's a girl out there that left me. I don't know why she did it. But I can't stay here and wonder why."

"Okay," you breathed. 

"We gotta work together to get out of this place," he said. He looked at the door, then walked towards it. "I'll be back later."

"What's your name?" you asked. 

"Todd," he said. "My name is Todd Hewitt."

"And you'll really help me?" you asked.

He looked to the side of the room and nodded once, then paused to pinch the bridge of his nose. In his Noise, he was cursing himself for tearing up.

"Yeah," he said, "yeah, I'll help you. What else... what else can I do?"

Flashes of his mind: a girl being forced out of his arms, him falling weak on his knees as he watched her go. She was dying, and he couldn't-

"Why am I here?" he whispered, and then he turned around and left the room, leaving you to listen to his Noise as he faded far, far away.

/// 

Part two? Possibly? I don't know, I'm really sad okay I want my books to have a stinking movie SOON