18. dobby the house-elf

     I LOOK NOTHING LIKE MY MOTHER, HARPER thought when she looked through the photo book

     I LOOK NOTHING LIKE MY MOTHER, HARPER thought when she looked through the photo book. Besides the hair and the smile, they couldn't be more different. She was more like her father, she discovered. They shared the same shape of nose, the same eye color, and when he smiled, he scrunched his eyes together just like she did.

Harper smiled at that.

Her hazel eyes landed on a picture of baby Harry being carried by Sirius Black. She knew who he was. Dorcas and Remus had told her about him. How he had betrayed her parents and killed Peter. However, apart from that, she didn't know much about the man. It was still a sensitive subject.

It was hard to believe when she stared at the picture. The way he held Harry and how he looked at him, Harper could not imagine he'd ever do something to endanger them.

Only one way to figure this out.

Grabbing a piece of parchment and her quill, Harper started to write the letter that might change everything she knew.

Sirius Black,

I am writing this because I'd like to know exactly what happened on 31 October 1981. I know you were my father's best friend and I can't understand why you would betray them. Neither Remus, nor Dorcas won't talk about it so that's why I give you the chance to tell me what happened that night. I just want to know the truth. Even if it's painful.

You'll find a quill and some parchment in this envelope. They probably haven't got that there in Azkaban.

Harper Potter

Harper then proceeded to take one of the photos of the Marauders and put it in the envelope as well. Closing it, she wrote Sirius Black on the back before handing it to Dale before she had a chance to change her mind.

"This one's for Azkaban, mate," she said quietly.

Dale stared at her with an are-you-kidding-me-look and Harper looked grimly. Dale hopped out of his cage and flew away.

• ✧ •

"YOU'VE GOT MAIL, BLACK."

Sirius Black glanced up and frowned as an envelope was shoved into his cell. He had never gotten a letter before. Had Remus finally found out it had been Peter who betrayed them? Was finally going to get the trial he deserved?