July 9, 1942

The day after my father's death, I continued my day just like none other. I overslept, ate no breakfast, and since I clearly had made no plans I went to help a friend. I didn't have a job, there was never a need for one. My father was the respected army general, so naturally the people the town made sure him and his family had enough to eat and were well clothed. Though they did not always fulfill their promises, we never asked for more. "Hey riku" I called put as soon as I entered the shop, "I was thinking, maybe I could get a job here" I said awkwardly. I never really liked asking for things, I always felt like I didn't deserve them. The reason I asked for a position with him was because, since there will be no marshal carrying this family, I needed to find a way to survive. Though I may not care about myself I still had to provide for my mother, who lived her life and made decisions all in the thought of me, and plus, I definitely didn't want to spend my days thieving around, especially now, since massive poverty would soon sweep this city, because of the war and all. He looked up and gave me a small smile, "I'll see what I can do."

Thank god for friends.

While I was tidying up I started to wonder what life without a father would be like. It wasn't unusual in this part of the country, actually it wasn't unusual in this part of the world, but it was certainly unusual for me. My father controlled every aspect of my life, from what I wore to how I spoke. In fact, I couldn't do a single thing without hearing my father whispering in my ear about how I can do it better. This soon got me thinking about WHY my father wasn't around anymore. The guard had told me he had breathed his last at the Marco Polo Bridge Incident. What happened at the Marco Polo was believed to be the start of the second Sino-Japanese War. I didn't know much about the "incident" but what I did know was that I hate war. I hate it more than anyone can hate their worst enemy. I just never understood why people have to go to such extents, killing millions of innocent people because, they are mad at the leader of another country, or because one of their citizens had died while he or she was (unfortunately for them) was in that country. War is stupid and useless. F*ck war.