22 Offs

Well the weekends over, and now we go back to the hell hole called school. Maybe I can make the best of it. When I got out of my car and walked through the school doors, I got a few looks from people. I decided to brush it off and make it to class. "Nice to see you aren't late Chancelor." Mrs.Quaver stated. I took my seat and class began. I don't really know anyone in this class, but that girl Rochelle. She usually makes small talk with me, but no one seemed to pay attention to me. It was almost as if I wasn't in the room. When class was over I decided to head upstairs because that's where all my friends' classes were. On my way up the steps I got a text from an unsaved number saying that they had something to tell me. I asked who they were and put my phone back in my pocket. I looked up and saw my nigga Charles. "Wassup Charles?" I greeted. "Yo wassup Chance." We dapped. "That party you and Lauren threw was sick. How do you know all those random people?" He asked continuing his walk to his locker. "I don't know all of them. We just spread the word I guess." He nodded and looked at me. "I saw shawty you were with. She was bad. That's your girl or something?" He asked, being nosey."Nah, not really. I think I'm gonna start bringing her around often." I said, thinking about Jazmine. "Yeah, you better watch her. It's alot of niggas out here talking about her." "Shit, let 'em talk. They ain't getting none." I said concluding our conversation. I walked down the hall and took the back stairs to my floor. I checked my phone and saw that I had another message. It's Rochelle. She wants me to meet her by the main office. I'd meet her but that's where Trinity is. I texted back and told her to meet me near the gym. I stopped at my locker to drop my backpack off, and was on my way to the gym. As I approached the gym, I could already see Rochelle by the doors. I walked over to where she was and a huge smile grew on her face. She hugged me tight and let go to look me in the eyes. "Why don't you seem excited to see me?" She asked with a confused look on her face. "Why did you tell me to meet you here?" I asked impatiently. She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Because I wanted to spend some time with you. Why did you pretend like you didn't see me yesterday?" "I wasn't pretending." I answered in a shallow tone.  She rolled her eyes again and walked away from me. Well, that's less drama that I have to deal with. How did she even get my number? I went to my next class and got bored out of my mind. I snuck out and walked around for a bit. I went upstairs and saw Vic and Brooklyn sneaking around. "Wassup guys?" I asked scaring the shit out of them. Brook jumped and head butted Vic. "Shit, what the fuck bruh?" He said holding his forehead. I laughed and shook my head, continuing my walk. I got a little farther down the hallway and then I saw Lauren coming my way with some files in her hands. "Good morning." I said, tagging along with her. "Hey buddy. What are you doing up here?" She asked, slowing down. "I had to ditch. That class was boring as fuck. I guess I'm not as used to being back then I thought I was." I said, shrugging my shoulders. "Well you can help me deliver work if you want." She said, handing me some files. "What is all this stuff?" "I don't know. Report cards maybe. I've been delivering them all day." I nodded and looked ahead. Vic and Brook were still fooling around. I'm contemplating on whether I stop Lauren from seeing them of not. I think I'm gonna go get lost somewhere, so she can see it on her own. But then again, Vic is my best friend. This is the last time I'm gonna save his ass. I caught up with Lauren and called her name really loud so they'd get the message. I seen Brooklyn walk away from where Vic was and pass me and Lauren up. "What? Why are you screaming?" She asked hitting me upside my head. "Hey, don't hit me like that. You don't wanna fight." She rolled her eyes and saw Vic coming our way. Her eyes lit up and she shoved her files to me and ran to him. "Vic!" She screamed and jumped in his arms. "Who's yelling now?" I said to myself while walking up to them. "What are you doing up here?" She asked, letting go of him. "I was just up here looking for you." He lied, taking her hand and. "Come chill with me and some friends. Class is almost over anyways." He said, swinging their arms back and forward. "Babe, you know I can't do that. If I got into any trouble this late in the year, my record would be ruined." She said letting go of his hand and looking down. "Damn, you never do anything fun anymore. You act like we'll get arrested or something." He said turning his back and walking away from her. "I'm canceling lunch with you today. You probably wouldn't be able to leave campus anyways with all the extra work you have to do." He said as he was still walking. I watched as she opened her mouth to say something but soon closed it, leaving it alone. Delivering the work with Lauren was really awkward. She hasn't said anything since Vic got upset with her. "Hey, you okay?" I asked, stopping her to get her attention. She took a deep breath and answered me. "Yeah, I'm fine." She said, starting to walk again. "Wait, let's talk about it." I said grabbing her hand, walking to the school roof. When we got up there, I let go of her and sat where I was standing. "Now, what's the problem here, ma'am?" I asked, wanting answers out of her. "Chano, I don't want to talk about it." She said, putting her hair in a ponytail. I pulled her down so she could sit with me. "Please talk to me." I said looking her in her eyes. She looked away from me and began to speak. "I don't like being known as the goody two shoes anymore. He's always using it as an excuse." "He's using it as an excuse or you're using it as an excuse?" I asked, making her see where I'm coming from. "He knows I don't like skipping class with him-" "And yet, you're skipping with me." "You dragged me here." She said, defending herself. "Why don't you like skipping with him?" I asked, curious. "Because all he does is show off in front of his friends. He doesn't really want to spend time with me. All he wants to do is exploit me." She's getting angry. "Tell him how you feel, dumb ass." I teased. She pushed me and I lost my balance and fell on my back. "Don't start with me nigga." She said popping her knuckles. "You ain't gonna do shit. I don't see why you getting buck with me, you need to be manning up to your stupid ass boyfriend." I said, sitting up. She got quiet for a while, and stood up. "You're right. I'm going to go talk to him." She said leaving me on the roof alone. I gathered my thoughts and checked my phone. I smiled when I saw that I had a text from Jazmine. "Are you free after school?" It read. I told her that I didn't have any plans and went back inside. She replied soon after, telling me to meet her at her house so we could go walking. I got stopped in the hallway by Mrs.Quaver. "Ahh, Chancelor. I knew you wouldn't be able to stay out of trouble." I thought of a quick lie. "Actually, I'm on a bathroom break. Now if you'd excuse me, I have to get back to class." I said, leaving her dumbfounded. Soon the lunch bell will ring, so I'll just catch up with Vic and whoever he's hanging with. He's most likely to be out on the courtyard.

After school, I went home and changed into some work out clothes to go walking in. I was pulling into the driveway, when I saw Jazmine bending over to stretch. I honked the horn and she jumped in fear. "What the hell?" She exclaimed, still a little shaken up. I laughed and turned the car off, stepping out. "Where are the rest of your clothes?" I asked examining her work out clothes. She wore tight shorts, a Nike sports bra, and Nike running shoes. "Oh, I'm sorry. Would you like me to go change?" She asked, concerned. "No, I was just joking." She looked at me and down at her hands. "Wait here, while I lock the front door." She said turning around and jogging to the door. I wonder if she just wants to go for a walk today, because her clothing choice sure does give off a sexual vibe. Lost in my thoughts, I didn't realize that she was standing in front of me. "So we're only walking today right?" I asked, leaving her driveway, walking on to the sidewalk. "No we can jog if you want." She answered, not catching on. "Alright, I'll race you to the stop sign. I said, getting a head start. Fuck the head start. She flew past me like her clothes were on fire. Once she pasted me up I stopped running. "Well aren't you a little track star?" I asked, acting surprised. "Yup. My daddy's a track and field coach. I've been running since I could speak." She said, putting her hair up. "Oh. That explains why you're shaped like that." I joked in a rude manner. "Shaped like what?" "A cereal box." I said and laughed at myself. My laughter died down after I noticed that she wasn't laughing with me. "I'm joking, Spongebob. Cheer up." She laughed after she caught on. "So do you want to start jogging now?" I asked. "No, let's walk and talk. How was school today?" She asked, waiting for me to catch up with her. "It was okay. Same old, same old. What did you do at school?" "Well, you know a little this and that. I learned some stuff. How are your friends?" I looked down, thinking about Lauren. "They're the same bipolar ass couple that I introduced you to." "That's good. I like how they can be mad at each other and make up in two seconds. Don't you?" "No." I said plainly. She took my hand and lead me a unfamiliar way. "Where are you taking me?" "To meet my friends." I was shocked from what she said but I decided to let her lead the way.

After cutting a couple of corners, we were at a small house on the end of Woodard Street. "My best friend Zayta lives here." She said letting go of my hand and heading for the front door. I was hesitant to follow behind her. "Come on, she doesn't bite." She said ringing the door bell. Seconds went by before a thin, bright skin girl answered the door. "Hey Jazz." She said, greeting her with a hug. "Hey Zay, this is Chance. The guy that invited me to his party." I shook her hand and we walked inside the small house. It's much bigger on the inside. "Where's Ick?" Jazmine said taking a seat on the couch. "Issac is out with his friends. I see you went running without me." "Yeah, you said you weren't feeling it so I invited my buddy Chance."  I sat down next to her and put my arm around her. "Hey Chance, don't you write music?" Zayta asked. "Yeah, you've heard of me?" "Heard of you? My brother has been going around town looking for you but he could never catch you. He wants another copy of you mixtape because he let his friend have his." She said excited. "That's cool as fuck. I'll leave a copy with Jazz so she can get it to him."  She took a look at Jazz and I and smirked. "Why aren't you two dating?" She outbursted. "Zay!" Jazz shouted, embarrassed. "What! I just want to know." "We haven't been on a real date yet. We're still getting to know each other." I answered, nonchalantly. "Welp, we should really get going." Jazz said getting up, pulling me with her. "See you later Zay. I'll call you." She said, rushing us out the door. "Nice meeting you." I shouted before the door shut. Jazz sighed in relief and looked up at me. "Race you home." She said running down the road. I stayed on pace with her all the way home.