Chapter One: Blood in the Water

CHAPTER ONE

1495 Year of the Trees

ALQUALONDË

Screams filled the air when Findekáno's host rounded the final corner to Alqualondë. Confusion reigned. Eve looked around, trying to find out what was happening. Before long it became obvious. The Falmari were trying to stop them.

Immediately drawing his sword Finno rushed into the fight. He would not stand by while his family, was at risk. All the elves with him joined in, wielding their bright swords. Eve followed, drawing her tindalta sword. But she didn't intend to use it unless absolutely necessary.

The sound of battle made Eve sick. She swung her sword and stabbed a Falmar through the stomach, causing scarlet liquid to spray onto her clothes. Her stomach turned. Eve tried her best to stay near her husband, but she knew that wouldn't last.

"Finno!" came a shout to their right.

Nelyo. His red hair wrapped around his face from the exertion he'd been putting out. Blood splattered his face and sword. Elven blood.

The tide turned almost instantly with the overwhelming force that Findekáno's host brought. The murmur that the Falmari had betrayed them, seeking to halt them in the name of the Valar, echoed through the ranks. Fury coursed through the Noldor yet again. Anger as fiery as Arien herself overtook their better judgement. With their bows, the Falmari stood little chance.

With well-aimed swings of her sword, Eve defended herself. She didn't want to take lives, but she would if needed. And indeed, more than a few Falmari fell from her sword strokes. With her blade, she wove through the ranks of Falmari like tearing parchment. Their bows were useless in close quarters with so many. The noise of bodies falling into the ocean sounded like drum beats.

Eve cried as she fought. Her favorite paintings had always been of Alqualondë. Now the land she'd found so beautiful had been drenched in blood. But she forced herself not to think about it. Just do her duty. Protect her family. The Falmari were enemies, they were trying to kill her brothers. They couldn't happen.

Suddenly a new force of Falmari tried to push back. Eve, close to the buildings, noticed a few children cowering in a street corner, silver hair stained dark with blood. Her heart sank as she looked around and then moved towards them. They shrieked, scrambling away from her.

"It's okay," she assured them immediately. Glancing to her sword, she decided to put it away. "Here. See. No sword."

They eyed her suspiciously but stopped hurrying away. One of them, a boy who looked no older than eight of her own Earth years, moved himself in front of the two girls. When Eve extended her hand, crouching down, he moved forward and took it. But as she turned to lead them out of the trap against the wall, they screamed again and she felt a furious burning sensation in her right leg. The children ran away, and Eve stood in shock at the Falmar elf before her. Sticking out of her leg were three birchwood arrows, the metal tips dug deep into her skin. Pure hatred crossed his face as he rushed at her with another three arrows notched.

Eve braced herself, too shocked to draw her sword. For a moment she wondered if she'd see Sophia and Christopher and all her friends from her old life when she died. A small smile set on her face at that thought. As the elven sailor drew back his bow and aimed for her heart, she closed her eyes. But a sharp shout drew her from her resolve to die. A blonde elf, clothed in greens and bronze armor, had pushed the man over and snapped his bow in half. Tyelko.