Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Pompeia had appeased the Senate and no expense was spared for the returning games.

Extra guards had been conscripted, measures had been taken to ensure no one else could escape and a record number of gladiators and slaves were heading for Rome.

Krista had been an anomaly that Pompeia would not allow again.

Walking amongst Ludus Magnus, Pompeia distanced herself from the memories.

Memories of a rebellion led by the Gaul Leonidas, memories of a dead slave girl and memories of Krista; Pompeia pushed them all from thought.

The blood had been washed from the stone, statues replaced and now even the wooden weapons were guarded heavily.

“Is everything to your liking, Empress?” Senator Magnus hurried to keep pace with her long legs.

“You have done well, Senator,” Pompeia remarked as she took a turn around the courtyard, the statues of the Gods looking down on her.

“None of this could be achieved without your generosity, your grace,” Magnus bowed his head in acknowledgment.

Pompeia sighed inwardly at his words but she did not voice any complaint when she suddenly paused before a statue; it was eight foot in height and it bore her face.

“The masons worked through the evening, your grace,” Magnus stepped forward and unveiled the marvel piece, “In contribution to your glory.”

Pompeia stood back and regarded the statue; made from pure marble, the statue was pale white and created as if by the hands of the Gods themselves.

The statue captured her long locks as she tilted her head and seemed to be looking at the heavens, the train of her dress draped across her arm as she rested her palm over her heart.

She looked serene and dangerous like the Juno, Queen of the Gods.

“Empress,” Magnus spoke softly and he was clearly thinking about his words for a long time, “Some of the other senators are worried about your . . . dedication with Krista,”

Pompeia turned from her statue and looked down at Magnus’s small figure; his timid gaze dropped from hers immediately and he began to pull at his fingers.

“That is to say, they have observed your behaviour around Krista and found it . . . unnatural. You have made no direct move against the Gladiatrix.”

Pompeia narrowed her eyes, “We have captured her companion and her general. They shall be arriving within the next few weeks.”

Magnus nodded his head in recognition of these facts, “The Senate is asking only for an estimate as to when we shall have the Gladiatrix too and will be able to bring our soldiers home.”

Pompeia turned back to her statue as she remembered the letter, “Krista cares about those beneath her command, she is unable to separate her feelings from the grander picture, and that will be her downfall.”

“Your Grace?” Magnus frowned, unsure of what she was speaking of.

“Krista will come for Artorius and Frieda,” Pompeia told Magnus plainly, knowing the information will get back to the Senate, “And we shall be ready when she does.”

* * *

Dianna sat upon a rock with a thick blanket wrapped around her hunched shoulders.