Where the Heroine Gets Whisked Away

People say that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day. For what reason? Well, I dunno, it doesn’t really matter to me, but I do know that I strongly disagree with whoever believes such dumb superstitions. You see, on Friday the 13th, something extremely bizarre happened to me, and it changed my life forever. To put it simply; it was the first time I travelled into the future.

Viola Muxworthy was a perfectly average girl in a perfectly average world. She, however, had many problems, the main one being the one that was just aforementioned; ‘averageness’. Viola absolutely hated being average, and no one seemed to understand why.

Her parents wanted her to become a doctor, although they always assured her that as long as she was making enough money to support herself, they’d be happy. Viola hated talking about the future, specifically her future, yet that topic seemed to be the only thing her parents wanted to talk to her about.

She always told them that, at the age of 16, she was way too young to be thinking about those things, but they disagreed. They were always pestering her about her grades, and they believed that a moment spent not studying was a moment wasted. Their attitude, frankly, depressed Viola, because she was quite smart and her school performance was above average.

So, that was the first half of the big problem in Viola’s life. The second one was her peers; mainly, the young adults that surrounded her more than half of every day. You see, Viola was quite a dreamer; she read a lot of books and imagined herself as the main character. This wishing led her to have quite high expectations, and inevitably, she was disappointed by everyone. The sad truth was, she had no real friends.

Now, this sounds like a typical cliche, the ‘loner’ archetype. But it wasn’t that she repelled people around her, oh no. In fact, in an odd way, she attracted attention; she never participated in class, kept to herself, didn’t try to ‘fit in’ with current trends, and always could be found in the library during recess. She also was quite pleasing to the eye, in a very icy sort of way. Her reputation coupled with above average looks always drew interest, and people attempted to approach her all the time, whether it be a lonely, fat beast of a boy hoping to get lucky, or a friendly girl assuming that Viola wanted to be friends.

And Viola usually gave them a chance, because she was nothing like people assumed she was. However, time and time again, she was disappointed in the people that wanted to get to know her. She knew that she was being slightly mean, but she simply didn’t want to get to know anyone better when they were all just typical, boring teenagers that didn’t pique her interest.

She wished that someone did interest her, but sadly, no one had ever gotten close to her ideal ‘dream’ boy or girl. You see, Viola wanted to have interesting people surrounding her, whether it be a handsome, mysterious guy that always had some witty, sarcastic comment to keep her thinking hard about a good comeback, or a rude girl that Viola could hate and become enemies with.

So, that pretty much summed up her boring existence. Her parents only cared for her marks and ‘success’ in life, and peers were boring and shallow and simply couldn’t keep up with Viola’s intellectual needs.

And Viola despised it all, because the only thing she could do about it all was wish. And wishing would obviously never get her anywhere, because in her boring-as-crap world, there was no such thing as magic.

Viola hated it. She really, really did.

And then, of course, this all changed on a fateful day.

It was the 13th of a Friday, and everything had gone as it usually went on Fridays (or any day of the week, really, because the only thing that changed day-to-day was the book that Viola read, or the meals she ate). She had gone to school, and nothing had happened to suggest that something odd would happen. She had gone to classes, handed in her homework, eaten fried rice for lunch, read her book, and successfully avoided one of her classmates that was insistent on talking to her.