Chapter 24

"Was it him?" Scarlett fires as soon as Cameron flashes in the seat opposite her, in the dessert parlour they had first met. 

"I thought you said you would never come back here?" Cameron questions briefly twizzling around before  taking  a massive slurp from Scarlett's strawberry milkshake. 

"They already think  I'm the crazy lady anyway, best keep that reputation here, than spread it around the rest of London." Scarlett snaps back, eyeing her now half empty glass of strawberry goodness. "Stop avoiding the topic Cameron. Now answer my damn question, was it the Trickster?" Scarlett rudely questions.

"You already made up your mind, why are you wasting your breathe asking me?" Cameron answers back, trying really hard not to approve her deadly thoughts.

"I need confirmation." she replies back through gritted teeth.

"No you don't. I can see your mind is already made up." Cameron sits back looking at the blond haired woman before him, with dark circles underneath her slightly red, puffy eyes. Her complexion paler than normal. Had she been eating or even sleeping in the last few days?

"How do I kill him?" She barks back, making Cameron flinch.

He had hoped that Scarlett wouldn't go down this path.

"A certain Trickster? You do realise he's supernatural and those that belong to the Otherworld tend to be immortal." He carefully informs.

"Yes thanks for enlightening me on that but my mother was a hunter. She killed them for a living. So it's possible." Scarlett persists.

She couldn't possibly go bother her grandmother after what had happened and she may as well turn to the next helpful person, Cameron. Christine has specifically told her to keep away from the Supernatural, especially the Trickster, so she doesn't want to disturb her grandmother in her fragile state, anyway. Christine's body has healed but her mind is far from it. This vegetable that Christine has transformed into terrifies Scarlett and she is clueless on how to tread around her. Best not bring up the supernatural who caused Christine to go into a  mental trauma. 

"Yes. I know. I am aware of your family history. How is your grandmother, Scarlett?" Cameron politely ask, dodging the topic once again.

Scarlett jumps forward and hits the table, reaching her last nerves. "TELL ME HOW TO BLOODY KILL IT!"

The necks of the staff and customers snap around to peer at their corner table. All they see is a woman furiosly banging on the table, yelling at thin air on how to murder something. They shake their heads and turn their backs on the Crazy, feeling embarrassment and pity for it.

"You don't want to go down that path, Scarlett." Cameron warns.

The current state of Francis is dangerously unstable, if Scarlett interferes in his so called magnificent plan, he will not think twice about skewering Scarlett and cooking her alive, enjoying her screams of agony. After Cameron's visit the other day he, himself is not too sure whether he has made the right decision letting Francis go and now if he reveals how to block Francis's war path to Scarlett, he will purposely be putting her in harm's way. He can't do that. Guard or not, he still has morals.  

"Don't tell me what to do." Scarlett sharply accuses.

"I'm trying to help you. Please don't do this." Cameron begs, kneeling forward on his elbows, so they are both eye-level.

"Look I'm eternally grateful for what you did for my grandma and I. But you have to let me do this, he deserves this. It's just gone too far." Scarlett urges trying to express the reasons for her actions. Perhaps then he will be more cooperative or at least a little understanding.

"It's foolish. You don't know what you're doing." Cameron adamantly argues.

"Then tell me then!" Scarlett shouts once again, her eyes narrowing in determination to get the truth from this man.

Cameron squirms at her request. Scarlett smiles in triumph, she has hit something to make him so visibly uncomfortable.

Cameron can't do it. He is a Guard, he has to keep the balance not cause all out battle. They were just as bad as each other.

"I can't. I'm trying to protect. He's learnt his lesson, Francis will leave you alone." he chucks an empty reassurance to Scarlett, hoping she will back off. 

Scarlett's eyes narrow and her mouth shrivel up in distaste and anger.

"Protect? Who the hell are you protecting? Well, you're clearly not protecting me. You're protecting your precious Trickster. Huh. You're all on one side. The supernatural, all for one and one for all. Right? I'm so bloody naive sometimes." Scarlett snarls. "I thought you were different Cameron but you're not. You have to protect your kind don't you? No matter how evil and messed up they are." Scarlett bitterly rants.

Cameron's eyes go wide in shock. "No, No that's not what it is. It's not like that." his voice rises an octave  as he pleads with Scarlett's harsh assumption.

"Then what it is then? Please explain why the hell you're not telling me how to kill the creature that killed my boyfriend and ripped apart my only family member? Because I quite frankly don't understand. I don't know what side you're playing on either." Scarlett demands with so much fury weighing her words.

"I saved your grandmother, I thought it was clear. That's not true by the way." Cameron mumbles and then looks down guiltily, as he realises that he has said something he shouldn't have.

"What's not true?" Scarlett instantly picking up his shifty movements. Her arms tightly crossed over her chest as she interrogates him. 

"Nevermind." Cameron shakes his head still not quite meeting her blue eyed gaze. 

She stares at him but he still resists her intense eyes. 

"If you're not going to tell me, how to get rid of him, then I'll figure it out myself. I don't need you Cameron." Scarlett growls, abruptly getting up and storming out.

She has had enough, there's nothing here to gain from this stubborn supernatural. People are looking at her weirdly, which could only mean it wouldn't be too long before someone calls for the police. She has run out of time.   

Cameron sighs. 

That could have gone better. 

He reaches into his inside pocket of his grey blazer, taking out his wallet. He slips a five pound note and sticks it under the empty dessert glass.