48: Volunteer

"Bee," Jimin said as he followed her into the lab, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't mean it like it sounded, I just-"

"Thought I'd forget about my own baby?" Bee snapped, carefully placing Breea in her basket and whirling around to face him, "You thought I'd forget to feed her and change her? How could you think so little of me? I know we didn't have time to talk about having children very often, Jimin, but the fact that you think that I'd be such a bad mother was something you never brought up,"

"I don't think you're a bad mother at all!" Jimin cried, taking a step towards her, "You're an amazing mother! Especially since you were pregnant and gave birth in such difficult times. And now you're looking after a newborn during a zombie apocalypse as well as continuing your studies is seriously amazing," 

Bee narrowed her eyes and shook her head, "Then why didn't you say that, instead of telling everyone about how you thought I was so bad at parenting that I'd forget my own child?"

Jimin sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. His wife had a valid point, and he was completely in the wrong, but he didn't mean to insult her parenting. It was more of a back-handed compliment, said in the wrong way.

"I shouldn't have phrased it like that," He said, "It was a compliment. You get so focused on your work that you don't take care of yourself properly, but you are still able to take care of Breea, despite your focus. Before, nothing could have pulled you away from research once you were that into it, but now..." He trailed away, rubbing his face with his hands with a groan, "I'm sorry, Bee," He said, "I should have thought more before I spoke,"

"Yes, you should have," She muttered, turning and pulling on her white coat. However, just as she did, Breea began to make some noise in her basket, and Bee immediately took her coat off again as Jimin moved to her and picked her up.

"What up, baby girl?" He said bouncing her a little, "You miss mummy, too?"

Bee narrowed her eyes, "She's hungry," She said, "Stop making digs at me," She took her daughter from Jimin and moved to sit in a more comfortable chair before fixing her clothes and bringing her hungry baby to her breast.

Jimin sighed, "So," He said, wanting to change the subject, "What did you want to tell everyone?"

Bee glanced up at him before looking back down at her daughter, "About my research,"

"What about it?" Jimin prompted.

"I've created an immunisation. A cure for the newly infected before they've turned,"

Jimin's eyes widened, "You've made the cure?!"

Bee looked up at him again and nodded, "I made the cure,"

***

Yoongi couldn't help but smile as he watched Jungkook happily bounce baby Breea in his arms. He looked like a doting big brother or uncle, and he found it incredibly cute; he had obviously missed her while Bee had been in the lab for all that time. Little was locked in her coop, as she got too jealous when Jungkook held the baby, but he had given her some food so she wasn't making any noises. 

He looked up at Bee, who was stood leaning against the wall, waiting for Shownu and Thalia to arrive. Hyungwon had taken over watch in the front tower, as he said he didn't mind joining in through the radio.

As the two came in and sat down, Bee stood up and all heads turned to her.

"So the meeting this time was called by me," She said, her voice clear, "Because I have some news, and I need to talk about the near future regarding that news,"

Jungkook looked up from Breea to let Bee know that he had his attention, before looking back down at her, still smiling.

"I've created a cure," Bee said simply. 

The silence around the room seemed more shocked than the previous silence, before people erupted with excitement.

"You made a cure?! A real one?!"

"Does this mean we can fix the world?"

"I knew you could do it, Bee!"

"What does that mean?"

Once everybody had settled down, Bee began to explain.

"I've created an immunisation," She said, "That seems to work on the blood samples I collected before, and the cure works perfectly, too, so far," She cleared her throat, "Yoongi, Jimin and myself have a resistance to the infection due to the cure that Hana created, but ultimately, the infection would still take us over if we were bitten again and not treated. This cure, however, would mean that even if we were bitten, we would not get infected,"

"That's amazing," Shownu said, "But how do you know it works?"

"Well," Bee said, "That's the next part of my studies," She looked around the table, "It works on the bloods, but that's not good enough. The final stage in the research," She took a breath, "Is human trials. I need to test the vaccination and the cure on two different people. I need two of you to let me inject the virus into your blood stream,"

There was another shocked silence around the room, before two people spoke up.

"I'll do it,"

"Yeah," The other said, "Me too. I volunteer,"