The Q-Tip's Quip

They had started out together. A cotton ball on their heads gave them life. They grew up together. Then, they were separated into groups.

However, they felt content, since they had some company- and, with all of them stuck together in that plastic container with no way out, there was plenty of time for socializing

However, they felt content, since they had some company- and, with all of them stuck together in that plastic container with no way out, there was plenty of time for socializing. They exchanged countless jokes and anecdotes that they had created to occupy their time, but soon, these were exhausted. They were forced to a point where they could only stare at what was outside their plastic window.

However, they felt content, since they could at least do that, but soon, they were transported to a place, where the only view was of an endless void of black.

However, they felt content, since, they were not going to be separated from each other, regardless of their unknown purpose in life; but soon, they were moved to a new place, where, one by one, they were removed by the hand of man.

However, they felt content, since even if they were not helping anyone in particular, at least they were not being a hindrance. They would just endure.

One by one, all of them were taken.... except one. He waited for the day he would be taken, for maybe there, he could do some good. Soon, his turn came. He was plunged into a hole where he picked up all the dirt he could. He finally felt another emotion- something other than contentment. He had realized his purpose in life and helped someone. He called this new emotion, 'joy'.

However, soon, he did not feel content. He was dropped into a mass of water and as the water swirled and churned, he was dumped into the ocean. He sank downwards, and so did his mood. He felt a new emotion which he called 'sadness'. The ocean, once vibrant, had become engulfed in plastic. He saw many horrors, from fish trapped by plastic containers, to a sea turtle that had choked on a plastic bag and died. He soon fell to the bottom of the ocean- the sea floor, where he saw all of his old companions amidst a medley of plastic.

After many years, a passing sea horse wrapped herself around him. He had stayed in the ocean for years, but this was the first time he had truly felt drowned. He felt drowned in his own misery. The entirety of the ocean, with all its living creatures and purity had suffered so much because of him and fellow plastic beings. He felt like destroying himself, but he couldn't, for his makers had made him indestructible. In the middle of his misery, he realized that every reason for his existence had been a joke. He could not tell this one to his compatriots, but he realized how funny yet depressing it was. By creating plastic to help himself, man was going to destroy himself. That was the joke. That was the Q-Tip's quip.

 That was the Q-Tip's quip