scarred

we were kids.

jamila's life was a complete disaster.
i remember her telling me about her sister who had disappeared. about the weight of the family on her shoulders. with her parents' divorce, she eventually broke.

tommy was always happy. always smiling. except when he came home to his abusive father and his weak mother. every morning his little sister came into his room and applied make up all over his bruises. on the very first day both made a promise. for may they escape this world of injustice someday.

jesse couldn't stand anyone or anything. his boring brother was competitive all the time. even after their parents' death. still he kept thinking jesse wanted to overshadow him. not a second did he consider his brother being the one standing in the shadow. i guess jesse couldn't stand the shade either.

and me, i was a bored down town kid with busy and always-working parents. looking for an adventure. something i'd wanna tell people about, be defined by something other than my parents achievements.

the night we all met, was the night the moon howled at our souls and we found each other at the beach.

the day we broke our own little barriers, was the day we followed the sun. stared into her glowing eyes. let her set us on fire and shed our skin. let its light guide us and take us home.

with tommy's sister singing let it go, jamila being carried piggyback by jesse and tommy holding my hand, our laughter filled the streets with life and we felt truly free for the first time ever.

scarred but not scared

i realized,

you're only truly alive, if you bruise.