Chapter Three Flubber Flies

Later on, the Professor decided to rub me on various round objects.

   "Flubber appears to have certain sporting applications," the Professor said

   What that meant, I had no idea. But I certainly did my part, sticking to a golf ball and a bowling ball and bouncing my heart out.
   Even more fun was driving two large humans crazy. I didn't know who they were at the time, but I knew they had no business being in the Professors house. They were spies.
   The Professor wasn't even aware that these guys were snooping or that I was konking them in the head repeatedly.
Later that day, the Professor decided to make his old car fly.
   I had seen cars in my travels. They were heavy, smelly things that rolled speedily along the streets. And when they collided, they most certainly did not bounce.
   The Professor put me in a tank inside his car. Then he bombarded me with the rays-only this time, there seemed to be a purpose to the whole thing.

 Then he bombarded me with the rays-only this time, there seemed to be a purpose to the whole thing

   "I connected the accelerator to the sliding shutter," he explained. "When I press down, I release more gamma rays."
   He got into the car. "I think it will work," he announced. "You want to go for a ride?"
   Weebo zipped eagerly into the passenger seat.
   Flying was lovely. I decided that I didn't mind being bombarded with gamma rays if it meant I could fly.
   Unfortunately, we only go where the  Professor takes us-but I'm learning to accept this as part of the flying bargain. Now I just relax and enjoy the ride.
   At first the Professor had a problem controlling the car. We nearly rammed into a house. Then we landed right in an apple tree.
   "Sorry!" The Professor called to the frightened little human who had witnessed the crash. "First time flyer!"
   Now when he flies, I have complete-well almost complete-confidence in his abilities.
   At one point we soared so high into the sky that we were clear above the clouds.
   "Look at that, Weebo," the Professor said. "All the world below and beyond. The stillness, the solitued,... the silence."
   He turned off the motor and let out a deep, satisfied sigh.
   And  then we fell like a stone. It felt wonderful!
   I couldn't wait to hit the ground so we could bounce up into the clouds again! At the last moment the Professor prevented us from slamming into the ground. We shot smoothly into sky once again.
   That was fun.
   The Professor decided to visit Sara, and we hovered above her house. Both he and Weebo were suddenly full of tension and anger.
   And then I understood why. Sara was with another man. Wilson Croft.

    "This night was made for us," Wilson said

   "Its so hot and sticky," Sara complained.
   "Exactly," Wilson replied.
   "Its such a pleasure to spend an evening with you without having Brainard hovering over us," Wilson said. Little did he know!
   "I have to say good-night," Sara said. "I have a busy day tommorow."
   I breathed a sigh of relief.
   After Sara went inside, Wilson pumped his fist in the air.
   "I can't lose. She's mine!" He cried. What a jerk!
   The Professor beamed him in the head with an apple.
   Finally we sailed home. The Professor was quiet and Dad the whole way.
   "I wish I could make you feel better," Weebo said.
   "So do I," said the Professor replied. "But this is something I have to deal with alone."