Prologue

Below is the Prologue for my first novel entitled 'The Abductee' and I hope you all enjoy this sneak peek.  As I wish to publish this in due time, I would like to ask if you could like the official page on facebook if you enjoy reading the Prologue below - just search 'The abductee series' then like and share the page. Many thanks and I hope you enjoy reading 'The Abductee'

 Prologue

            It was a Saturday evening and the weather had turned for the worst. Through every bare twig and moss-covered branch the wind howled, snarling at the smooth red and brown tiles that refused to budge off the slanted rooftops. The rain battered everything in its path, taking no caution as drains overflowed and streetlights flickered in the darkness. This weather was hardly rare when you lived in the United Kingdom, especially within Wales. At least, that’s what the people had grown used to thinking around here, particularly the lone man who was now walking the length of his small driveway. This particular man was tall and wore a thick hooded jacket which he had pulled up to his neck. You wouldn’t be able to see his facial features however, because the hood had taken away what little light there was to show his face.

            This man was also muttering under his breath, whispering obscenities as he kicked about some cans that rolled around the grass at his feet. He looked at his surroundings as he watched torn napkins become piles of mushy slush, paper cups splinter as the cold tore them apart, and cans bounce uncontrollably along the road as the wind scattered them everywhere. He went after them, picking up everything as his hands tingled in the cold – one hand carrying a black rubbish bag and the other for picking junk up from the ground. After what seemed like an anguished battle to clear his driveway, the wind and rain finally slowed down as he picked up the last metal can. He sighed; parties were too much hassle for him nowadays, especially since he was in his late fifties. But of course, it was all worth it because his son, Neil, had turned eight today, and it was a proud moment for any dad.

            Every birthday was a proud moment, as long as it meant that Neil was growing up and turning into a man like he was. What sort of a man was he though? Sometimes, he was afraid to answer that question, even though he was the one constantly asking it. There were so many secrets he had to keep, so many lies that he himself had told –

            FLASH!

            The man was in agony. He was pleading for mercy to a group of men in crinkled suits who refused to co operate with him. Their hold on his wrists and forehead was not only strong but malevolent as they forced his head against something hard and cold. That was the moment he started crying, as several drops of a clear liquid were scattered from a small phial and onto his eyes. The impact of it tore his senses apart as he screamed for help while the fiery liquid tormented his skull. Then he accepted his fate; it was all his fault.

            ‘We did warn you,’ said a man with greasy-black hair.

            FLASH!

            The man shivered, ignoring his own eyes that were swivelling to a pulp. He needed something to drive his mind away from those secrets. He smiled at the thought of having grandchildren and a full house at Christmas, with the new relatives gathered around the fire to beat the winter chill. The image was perfect enough to get the other thoughts out of his head, and one that gave him hope in a future that might not be so bad after all.

It was the first of November and winter was back with a vengeance. The man pulled his thin-rimmed glasses off and polished them with a white cloth, placing them carefully onto his nose that was now very red. He pulled down his hood and scratched his scruffy black beard, pulling his jacket tighter towards his neck to beat the increasing cold. He glimpsed a faint light coming from the distance and froze, but it was just a car that raced past his driveway. He coughed up a croaky laugh - realising how ridiculous he looked just standing there - and peered back over his shoulders. The woods surrounding the town of Carnstone covered a large area, with a high metal fence to prevent any wild animals crossing over from the nature reserve. The man used to love it here.