Chapter 1 - First Day

I edited this chapter. Please read the lunch area part again so you won't get confused.

Today is the first day of school. I should be nervous but after so many times moving from city to city, school to school, I lost that flicker of nervous. All I feel now is just dread. The dread of being caught again. Last year, my family moved because one of the students saw scars on my back while I was changing in the bathroom. She told the principal and the principal called my house at the time and that call was answered by my mom, which resulted in me being whipped for seven times on my back. This is why I've never had friends. I'm a broken, sad, pathetic and ugly girl, who has demented parents who will torture me if they saw me talking to strangers.

"Sang! Come down here! Let's go it's your first day of school!" My ignorant father said from downstairs.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing the nicest blouse I could find and a knee-length navy plaid skirt. It's a miracle I found this skirt. All my clothes are from the second-hand store or my sister's old clothes and most of them have holes. Thank God this one is one of the ones, without any holes. I also put on my ankle high boots with grey socks. This cold Alaska weather is going to be a nightmare, almost all my outfits are for summer. I walk downstairs careful not to make too much sound since my mom hates it if I made loud noises, and saw my dad standing with his eyes on his phone.

"Dad?" I asked.

He jumped a bit. "Sang! You scared me! I forgot how you can be very quiet at times." He said.

I just looked down on my feet.

"So, you're ready? Where's your sister?"

I shrugged. Then there's a thundering noise of footsteps. We both looked at the source and saw my sister in her usual provocative clothes. She's wearing a short skirt as the bottom, short sleeve red shirt which has a long v-neck so people can see her upper bra and knee-high maroon boots.

"Marie, what are you wearing? It's cold outside." My dad said.

My sister rolled her eyes and took out a white dress coat from one of the boxes that are still on the house floor. She raised her perfectly arched eyebrows at my dad as if asking for acceptance which my dad answered only with a sigh.

"Sang, where's your jacket?" My dad asked me next.

I took my jacket that I put yesterday on one of the hangers in one of the closet downstairs. It's only an ugly brown trench coat. My sister looked at my outfit and looked disgusted. I only looked down and tried not to cry.

"Ah! You guys are going now?" The scariest voice I've ever known asked. Just by hearing her voice already made me shiver.

Marie smiled. "Yes, mother!" She said.

Mother smiled at her and kissed her cheek. She looks at my dad and pecked his lips. Even though from my point of view, he looked uncomfortable. She looked at me and her smile dropped. She came towards me and gripped my arm with force.

"Don't speak to anyone, understood?" She asked sharply.

I nodded very fast.

She let go of my arm. "Remember that no one wants to spend their time with an ugly, rude, pathetic girl. Understood?" She said.

I nodded again. This time with glassy eyes.

"You can go now." She said.

My dad hearing this walked out, followed by Marie and finally me. Once we get into the car, Marie who sits in the back like me, put space between us. It's a usual occurrence so it only stings a little. My dad played the radio and Danny's Song played on the radio. I closed my eyes and leaned my head to the window.