Kiss of Life

"Clear!"

"You don't have to be so loud Bucket, it's only you and me."

Bucky rolled his eyes at the nickname, pushing through into the next room, eyes aimed down the scope. "Just want to make sure you hear, darling."

Your eyes scanned the room, staying close to Bucky, "You're the hundred-year-old man, maybe we should get your hearing checked."

He chuckled, throwing the door open. You jumped forward aiming your gun as you cleared the doorway. He stepped into your back, his chest pressed tight to you. You turned your head, "Clear," you whispered as you placed a kiss on his cheek. You winked at him as you stepped further into the room.

It was completely empty, save for the blinding white door stood opened opposite you.

You holster your gun and walk toward the room. You were about to step into the completely white room when Bucky's hand stopped you. "Doll, what do you think you are doing?"

"We're here to gather intel right?" Bucky nodded. "So, I'm going to go gather intel."

His grip tightened on her arm, "I don't like this."

You huffed and turned, so you were fully facing him. You put both of your hands on either side of his face, "Bucky, it'll be ok."

He sighed, "At least let me go first," he placed a kiss on your forehead after you nodded.

He stepped back, lifting his gun to his eye again. He stepped into the room, his eyes squinting in the harsh light. He'd made it to the middle of the room, turning to gesture for you to enter, when a door slid closed.

Bucky dropped his gun and ran to the door, trying to pull it open. His eyes widened in panic as he watched you look for another opening through the small observation window. He circled the room, fingers pressed against every corner, finding the room air tight.

He looked at you again, your panic starting to show. You banged your fist against the glass, not even leaving a crack. He put his hand on the glass, mouthing words, hoping to calm you down. Tears ran down your face as you watched him.

A slight hissing sound pierced through the silence. Bucky turns, trying to find the source, but sees nothing. Suddenly his eyes roll back and he collapses to the floor.

You scream as he drops out of sight. Steve has been yelling in your ear through the coms. "What the hell is going on? Y/N!"

"Steve, Bucky...he's...he's...I don't know what's happened, Steve."

"I'm on my way."

The door slid open again and you rushed in. Bucky was convulsing slightly on his side. You pulled him onto his back, brushing the hair out of his face and holding his head. His body slowly stops moving. He slowly opens his eyes.

"Buck? Bucky? Are you ok? How are you feeling?" You help him to his feet, where he steadies himself. "Love?" You placed your hands on either side of his face, searching his eyes. They lacked the warmth they usually held when he looked at you, lacked love and the spark of life he had worked hard to get back.

"Bucky?"

His hands came up and pulled your hands away before kicking her square in the chest. You flew across the room, hitting a white wall hard. The breath was knocked out of you and you fell to your knees.

You were left with no time to recover as he stalked toward you. He led with his left arm throwing jabs and hooks. You blocked them as best you could, not trying to hurt him. You circled each other around the small room. His eyes flickered down to the discarded gun on the floor.

With a sigh and hesitation you stepped toward the soldier. You kicked him in the side, satisfied with the grunt that you heard and the hesitation you felt as he recalculated how to handle you now that you were fighting back.

Your knee hit him in the spot he had hit you earlier. He stumbled back, throwing his arm out. You dropped to the floor on a knee. Throwing your own punch you hit him in the groin. "I'm sorry, babe, but I'm doing this because I love you."

He took a deep breath and reached out for your shoulder, you moved and threw an elbow in his face, wincing when you heard the crack of his nose breaking. He grabbed your elbow and reached around you, grabbing the gun you had forgotten about.

He pushed you away from him as he took aim.

You froze.

Tears streaming down your face.

The gun cocked and you closed your eyes, waiting for the inevitable end.

It never came.

Bucky's arm dropped to his side. Grip going slack and the gun dropping to the ground.

His eyes rolled back. His body dropping to the ground again body convulsing much more violently this time. You dropped to your knees, holding his head again. You winced at the blood that covered his face now. You kissed his forehead as his convulsing came to a stop.

You waited, watching his face. His eyes didn't open and his chest didn't rise. "Bucky?"

He didn't move. His chest still refusing to rise. "Bucket? Bucky?" You shifted to your knees, shaking him. "James? Please don't do this."

You started doing compressions. Your sobs filled the room, only stopping when you leaned over to fill his lungs with air. You lost track of how long you were doing it, but arms wrapped around you and pulled you away from Bucky.

You screamed and pushed against Steve's arms as he pulled you toward the quinjet. Bucky's body was lifted into the quinjet, a medic doing what he could. You turned your head into Steve's neck, sobbing.