Chapter One

I wondered when she was getting home. I just got off of school. I knew it was the first day of her new job, but I didn't think she would be getting home this late. The thought of going to sleep on an empty stomach didn't settle me at all. I was really hoping she'd make it home, for it was about time for me to go to Katie's party. I started worrying. What if Katie's mad? What if my mom's mad? Did I do this? What if there was no more frozen meals in the freezer? I can't do this!

I stay here for an hour. I walk up and down the stairs, reading my book. I read, "She jumps into his arms, and tells him...." I screamed. I realized this was the moment I was waiting for in my book. I read the next few words. "I love......". Katie opens the door with tears running down her face.

Katie looks scared, "Hey, I have to tell you something," she said. "Wait, why arnt you at the roller rink, isn't your party going on?" I asked. " My mom got in a car wreck and I really need you right now." I sit there. Scared as I was, I hugged Katie. Katie cries, "She's been calling me, telling me everything's going to be alright. Everything's going to be fine Katie." Katie claims. I felt sick to my stomach. " I'm here for you Katie, I might not know how you feel, but I'm here. It's ok to have emotion so please just let it out." Katie starts to cry. "I was scared! When she called my dad, he dropped his phone and it triggered a seizure." My body lacked of air. " Is he ok?" " I don't know." She yelled. The room went quiet. She was shaking, badly. I asked her how did she get here. She ran two miles from the rink to my house and then she left.

I started to cry. Katie is like me especially when it comes to emotion. Earlier I felt that my mom was in danger, but all the sudden Katie's mom is conflicted. "Hey sweetie, sorry I'm late." My mom says as she came in. "Is Katie ok? She seems pretty blue." I was unsure what to say, "Katie has a C+ in math." My mom is shocked. "Oh! I bet she's gonna get an A+ soon. Katie's smart! The lowest grade percentile she ever had is a 91%, so she shouldn't waste her time feeling too bad. Her grade point average would be a 3.71. I think Katie has it in the bag!"

I love my mom. She's kinda the only one I talk to besides Katie. In my opinion, I think we talk so much to each other, that we lost most conversation topics. I remember out of nowhere when I was 5, she started talking about "the birds and the bees" ; something tells me that was just a conversation with no educational purposes but because our lack of topics to talk about. My mom and I usually talk about my day, dinner options, and Katie. My mom and dad haven't really been together. I've actually never seen my dad. I always try to ask about my dad but, my mom talks me out of it. All I know is that he's part of the reason I exist.

I don't think I'm crazy. I have emotion, I'm sympathetic, and sweet; or at least that's how my grandpa describes me. My mom describes me as her sweet, loving koala. I don't have many friends but I hope to. I kind of believe it's too late for that now.

High school is the least of my troubles. I have B's and A's. Not perfect but right about it. My best friend Katie has an addiction with school and everything about it. Her grades range from 92-105 which I didn't think was possible. I've been through so many things with Katie. I can't imagine a life without her and to be honest a life without my best friend is a life I don't want to live in.