Chapter Two

The wind from my fan blows on my face. I sit there and think. I completely let my best friend down. I didn't go to her party, I scared her so she left, and I lied to my mom about what's happening to her. I'm wanna make it up to her.

I call Katie, "Hey, how's the birthday girl?" She answers, "I'm doing ok." I respond, "Well that's good! I would like to apologize about my absence on your party; that was so mean of me to do and I hope you can forgive me." She's silent. She continues, "It wasn't your fault, I saw your mom come out of the door at the time my party was almost over. Wasn't she your only ride?" "Yeah," I laughed. I got serious. "How is your mom Katie?" "I'm unsure." At this point Katie sounds still. Like if she was singing a song but in only one pitch. It sounded like she wasn't happy at all. I told her to get some sleep for school tomorrow. We tell each other goodbye. I hear her drop something before she left. I love my clumsy best friend.

Waking up wasn't to hard for me. I wondered what to put on today; A dress? Some overalls? Causal? Pizza shirt? I felt like my options were ultimately wide. I had so much to chose from. Today is Monday so why not have a silly day. I chose the pizza shirt.

I'm at school. I walked into the building with my super, fun pizza shirt. I see Katie in the distance. I walk up to Katie, she's fixing her locker. We greeted each other. Katie seems more happy than yesterday. I feel like her wardrobe reflects her personality. It's a yellow turtleneck with sleeves, accompanied by some cute, blue overalls. Katie's such a playful and fun person. I feel like today she was expressing herself.

Katie takes out her English book in the locker. "Oh my gosh! That English work I did took forever."
I questioned her, "English work?" "Well, yeah. It took around three hours to finish the two bodies of the essay and add a conclusion ." Katie and I have the same English class. I thought it was pretty weird what she said because it was due on Friday.
"Oh, I guess. I thought it was pretty easy. Sometimes my creative flow just gazes upon me and my work. I finished the essay on Thursday. It was assigned Tuesday so I didn't think it would be that much work." I claimed. Katie smiles, "I'm glad I finished it the same day you did too. We are basically twins!" She returned with a smile. I'm confused a little bit. Not even 15 seconds ago, she said that she finished yesterday. I try summarizing everything she said. Does she think it's Friday?

It's sixth period. Katie and I sit across from each other at different tables, which sucks! I work better when I'm with Katie. Katie goes up to the teacher with a confident smile. "Here's my essay!" She says, so purely. The teacher looks excited, "Thank-you sweetie! Didn't you know these were due last Friday though?" Katie laughs hardly. She said she's happy she turned it in on time. The teacher looks confused. The bell rings.

I try catching up with Katie. "What was that about?" " I don't know," said Katie. "Mrs. Shoe is a weird teacher, am I right," she giggles.

I look at my phone. 2:30pm, Monday Afternoon. The day after Katie's birthday party. For a second I thought time reversed. I texted Katie, "Are you going to be ok for Tuesday?", she replies. "Huh? That's like four days away, why?" She then says she can't wait for her birthday party on Sunday. I think something's wrong with her, her birthday was yesterday. I'm very scared for Katie.