Chapter 20: Shadow Trail

I came into work today and Otto was reminding me to head to his lab to see all the other Spider-Gadgets he made for me. Mind you, I got close to no sleep for obvious reasons I shouldn't need to state. At this point I need 4 cups of coffee to get me through the day. I finally got to Otto's lab and he showed me the literal arsenal he made for me. Which consisted of some...interesting additions. So first off, the Impact Webbing. They're additional rigs to my webshooters to make the web pellet that knocks people back while wrapping them up in the webbing. The next gadget was the web mine. A trip mine that has a proximity trigger. Once the trigger is activated, it shoots a web line out and basically web bombs someone to a wall instantly. Again, pretty straight forward and still web related. Next was the taser web. The name sort of explains itself, which is a bit out there but I can still see it. The next one is stretching it a bit and the last two just bring it to absurdity. The next one is a spider-bot, which can either be a taser device or a tiny little mobile unit that can shoot taser blasts. The next gadget after that is...a concussive blast? He explained it was like the Shocker but to a lesser degree. After that was an anti-gravity suspension matrix...which in my opinion is just straight up ridiculous.

So some weird things have been happening lately. There have been attacks around Gotham City, all describing the same thing. A large black creature tearing through a building looking for...something. Although some attacks describe this monster choosing a specific target. The first target was Manuel Dickens; a former hired gun for Carmine Falcone. Guess why that sounds familiar to me. That was the guy I interrogated to get the location of Carmine. Speaking of Carmine, the same creature then proceeded to target and kill him, too! I detect a pattern, wherever I went before with a criminal; this Venom monster arrives a while after me and clean up the place.

What started to unnerve me more was when the monster didn't choose a target. An hour or so after we all left the amusement mile, the monster apparently tore through the place and brutally killed the freakshows. If you want me to describe how brutal, I'll say that there aren't siamese ballerinas anymore. Not only that, but the hospital I was in when I was comatose? Yeah, it tore through there too! I feel like the monster might be looking for me, but my question is why?! The fact that this thing took my brother doesn't settle my mind either, it wants me too for some reason now.

So now, I'm panicking because I can't tell when or where the monster will come for me. I am now terrified to actually go into a dark room, because the reports say the monster tends to excel in the dark where it can move around undetected. I would try to use my spider-sense, but every time I feel like the monster is nearby; I got nothing. If I have to meet this monster face to face, I have no way to counter its ability to move around like its invisible. I sort of um...locked myself into my apartment. I know, I know, it's not healthy in the slightest. However it's my best option right now because I can't see if the monster is nearby.

Bruce has been calling me trying to dispel my paranoia, but I'm confident that the monster might come for me. I keep my computer close by to flip through the Gotham City CCTV system and I occasionally catch a glimpse of the monster. The glimpses I get is when it tosses someone out of a dark alleyway with a black tendril that shoots out of the alley. I found a camera that gave me a good view of how intensely terrifying this monster is. More importantly, I saw what the monster fully looks like.

It's like...9 feet tall, all black, in a constant state of flowing and melting and has a veiny white spider blazed across the chest and stretching around the whole body. He was brutally beating a man who was about to rob a store. Although the strange part is that the store is across the street, which means the monster had to stretch its arm across the street; grab the guy and bring him into the alleyway. With how ungodly long the arms are though, I'm not surprised if that's what the monster did. The monster began to to thrash the man about, before a sickening snap was heard and the man was then left on the ground lifeless while the monster slunk back into the darkness where the camera couldn't see it.