Whatever You Say Old Man

"I don't think I can do this anymore

"I don't think I can do this anymore." You mutter, glancing up at Yoongi's astonished expression through your lashes.

Yoongi was lounging with you on your couch, finally having some free time to spend with you after being too busy with promotions. It had been about three weeks since the last time you'd seen him. He was reasonably good about texting, but it was still hard. However, that wasn't even the problem. You would happily wait for him for as long as it took if you felt like this was going anywhere. You knew that he wasn't the most open when it came to emotions, but you didn't get any indication that you were more than a comfortable and convenient hookup of almost a year. Meanwhile, you were madly in love.

"What do you mean?" Yoongi sputters, and you can hear his voice hardening and notice his shoulders tense like he's preparing to fight.

"I just can't do this. I get the feeling that I like you more than you'll ever like me. But that's totally understandable. I mean, you're you. Min Yoongi, idol, producer, self-proclaimed genius, etc. And I'm just me. You could be out there with models hanging off of each arm and drinking champagne out of goblets that are made out of diamonds and ice or some shit."

Yoongi raises an eyebrow, looking thoroughly amused now. You can't blame him; you're making it sound like you're just complaining, aren't you?

"Look, my point is, I can't do this anymore. I'm sure you'll find a replacement for me in like a day, so I'm sure I'm not going to be inconveniencing you much. You'll probably forget all about me in like a week. And I'll have a story to tell the village kids when I'm a little old lady, rocking on my porch and telling them about the time I fell in love with Min Yoongi. They'll just laugh at me and be all like, "Whatever you say, old lady," and they won't believe me but they'll still listen to me tell the story like once a week until I die." You were rambling and being weird at this point, but you couldn't help but be nervous as Yoongi's face just shut down, gazing at you with that eerie blank look he does when he's hiding how he feels.

You stared back, practically begging him with your eyes to say something, hopefully what you most wanted to hear. Instead, after about a minute he merely nodded, slipped his shoes on, and left.

You gape at the door as despair slowly takes over and you realize everything you'd said. Of course he'd run. You used the L word. God, you were so stupid. You'd been so determined to make it sound casual and envisioned the most chill breaking up even though we aren't really together scenario ever.

You couldn't even bring yourself to cry, you were so upset. You stared down at your shaking hands and wondered how long it would take to get over Yoongi.

You were really going to miss him.

You give one final heartwrenching sigh and melt into the couch as you watch TV mindlessly. You weren't even really paying attention, and eventually, you began to doze off.

Four firm knocks on the front door jolted you to full awareness. That was Yoongi's knock. You glance at the clock and realize it had only been about three hours since he'd left. Perhaps he forgot something here, because surely he couldn't be here for you after all that. You stood up and ran your fingers through your hair and stopped by the mirror to check for drool before standing in front of the door. You took one deep breath to brace yourself and flung open the door.

Yoongi stood there looking incredibly agitated. His lip was all chewed up, and his hair was mussed like he'd been running his hands through it. He was currently rubbing the back of his neck, a clear sign that he was nervous.

"What if I wanted in?" He blurted, looking incredibly embarrassed afterward. Yoongi blushing was something you didn't see often, but it was one of your favorite sights.

You cock an eyebrow in confusion and try to figure out what he means. "Wanted in on what?"

"Your....dumb thing with the village kids. Say I said I loved you too and I wanted to be in that stupid thing about you being an old lady, where would I be?" He mumbled, looking shy and not meeting your eyes.

Did you just hear a record scratch? Did he just say love?

"You love me?"

He finally met your eyes and nodded, allowing them to soften so you could finally see it in his face.

"And you want to be in my scenario about me being an old lady? Like...seventy years from now? Seventy, Yoongi." You're so shocked at this sudden change that disbelief is a natural response, but you knew Yoongi well enough to know that he means what he says. He nods again in answer, grinning shyly and you want to coo at how cute and vulnerable he looked.

"Then I guess you can be the little old man rocking next to me that's always bragging about when he was a youngin he was one of the hottest idols in the world and made masterpieces, and had everyone throwing themselves at him. When the kids tell you "Whatever you say, old man" I'll totally back you up and tell them I was a groupie. And I won't tell on you when you "accidentally" trip the little jerks with your cane."

Yoongi laughs and just the sight of his adorable gummy smile makes you happy again and realize this is real. This is really happening.

Yoongi grabs your hand and leads you back to the couch before grasping your face as he leans in to kiss you tenderly. You'd been kissed by Yoongi many times, but never like this. Never in such a way that you felt exactly what he was trying to tell you. You pull back with a contented sigh and the two of you smile softly at each other while you get back into a comfortable position to cuddle.

You both stare at the TV silently as he runs his fingers up and down your arm, the both of you most likely processing everything.

Eventually, he turns to you with a smirk.

"Okay, but like, you know that the village kids are already going to know about me, right? I'm Min Yoongi. They probably made me mayor, and like, gave me a key to the city or some shit. Probably have a Min Yoongi parade once a year and have a Kickstarter to build me a statue."

You chuckle and lean in to kiss him fondly.

"Whatever you say, old man."