Rudy

She wasn't perfect. She wasn't smart. She wasn't imaginative or talented. So why the fuck did she finish here ?

A few hours ago:

I was walking in through the impressive Hogwarts gates. Shivering with apprehension, I walked slowly in while admiring the view. The castle was beautiful, it's lights were like little flames in the eternal night above... The lake was shimmering under the star-full sky. 

Everything was perfect, yet I was afraid. We entered the castle and small woman (she introduced herself as Miss Plitry) with a big smile, reassured us and explained how the ceremony would work. 

Having a wizard parent (my mom), I already new the details of it. Someone would place an old speaking hat on your head and would go through your mind and decide in which house you would spend the rest of your scholarship with.

I've heard they were trying new educational methods where students would have mixed up classes (previously, a student's lessons was rythmed by his house; classes were now made independently of this cretaria). 

The same thing happened for the dormitories : girls were separated in four groups, and boys too. They'd make four groups of boys and girls of different houses and make them sleep in one of the old dormitories. The only moment houses were differenzied was at dinner and for inter house competitions (like the house cup or the quidditch matches). 

All of it to help people's opinions about house prejudice and making students learn to better know each other. They still conserved the house-concept mostly because of tradition. The house cup and other competitions was also a way to make students learn better and have a feeling of glory of some sort. Teachers also had a better idea of who was more qualified for which activity and it helped them create equal work-groups. 

This year was the seventh year this rule was applied. If it didn't work out in a few years, the school would have to go back to their old methods. The strategy had reasonably worked on the three last grades, composed of more mature students. The second years didn't mind as well but the problem was the third and fourth year. They had bad images of other houses already stuck in their head and not always a critical sense of things. 

They where usually around 45 students per year. Almost an equal number of boys and girls. 

The dormitories had also been renamed : The dungeons, The kitchens, The Red tower and The Blue tower. 

But all of this didn't matter because I was finally entering the school of my dreams... I was excited beyond belief the day my power showed up. It was pretty impressive magic, really. The thing is, even though I've tried thoroughly, I have never been able to reproduce it. 

It was a very cold winter night, just before Christmas. I was freezing cold, out in the snow. My amazing sense of orientation got me lost when I was supposed to meet my mother at some place. I was walking on a frozen lake when the ice suddenly broke at my feet. I managed to get out safely but unfortunately fell inside again. That's when my body slowly carried me up into the air and made me land safely onto the ground. My mother, who at some point came looking for me saw the whole thing and after checking I was alright, congratulated me and hugged me hard against her. 

I slowly emerged from my thoughts and suddenly realized a hat sitting on a stool. We had indeed moved into the great hall, where all students dined, and a few hundred of students were looking at us with merely interested looks. 

Then, the hat started singing. His voice was terrible...

That awkward moment past, the headmistress, Minerva McGonagall, started assigning us to our rooms and dormitories. She started by the girls. 

"Miss Jane Cecil, Alyson Crisp, Harriet O'Brien and Charlie Nodle you'll be sleeping in the kitchens. Miss Carolin Davies, Juliette Cartnee, Fiona Soil and Karlie Rowan you'll be in the dungeons. 

Miss Rudy Rowen," I straightened up when I heard my name "Jenny Crack, April Shane and Elaine Carrol, you'll have the blue tower.. the rest of the girls have the red tower" she finished. I started looking around to find my roommates but Professor McGonagall called us back into order. 

She started listing the boys, but I didn't really listen. I only payed attention when she listed the guys that would be in the same dormitories than us. Their names were Pete, Jake, Yoon and Nikolas. I didn't see them though. 

I heard a girl swearing pretty loudly next to me and looked at her with a weird face. She grinned in apology, her shoulders lifting. I smiled back; she looked nice. I liked her hair...

It was  a complete mess but in a beautiful way. The left part of her dark brown hair was a sort of side messy knot, some of the bun's pieces were braided. The right part of her hair was loose except for a braid that started on the left side of her head to finish to the white. She also had a streak of hair that was full of colored beads. She looked fun and quirky. Her eyes were a flamboyant amber color. 

I, on the other hand looked awfully plain, with my long blond hair. It went to my navel and was wavy. My eyes were beautiful though, a nice frost blue color...

Suddenly, the headmistress announced that she would start calling people for the sorting. She, again, started by calling girls in alphabetical order:

"ASH Elizabeth" was a small girl with curly black. She sat on the big chair where the hat was lying a few seconds ago. Miss Paltry was holding th hat in her hand. She slowly laid on Elizabeth's head. Suddenly, the hat opened his mouth again and shouted "HUFFELPUFF". The girl looked happy, she went towards the Huffelpuff table, who were already applauding enthusiastically. 

"BIERN Zoe" was the next to be called. She was to be a Ravenclaw.

"CARROL Elaine" a beautiful girl with dark red hair sat on the chair. She looked nervous. Her eyes were the loveliest gold I'd ever seen. The sorting hat exclaimed "HUFFELPUFF" and she went to sit at her table. 

I spaced out at some point. The hat cried "SLYTHERIN" and I looked up, curious to see what the first Slytherin looked like. She was pretty basic; shoulder long black hair, Asian traits, glasses and stunning green eyes. 

But then, Miss Paltry called my name:

"ROWEN Rudy". I freezed.