Chapter 10

Not a day went bad in which Xaz didn't think of Phantom. When she was out in the fields, she looked towards the forest often, hoping for some glimpse of him through the trees—but glad she never got it. When in town, the snorting or braying of animals reminded her of him, and when she dreamed, sometimes she was back in his home, jumping and climbing the trees alongside him.

Once she even dreamed they were flying side by side.

She couldn't help but worry for him, even if he had lived there safely for years. The thought of the mimic hunting him down caused her to shiver.

Otherwise life continued as normal. Her stiffness fled and her bruises faded. She worked on the farm most days and visited the market once or twice a week to check to see if Sullison had more information on Jake (dealing with his servant was the most taxing part of her day) and to visit Teggard.

The blacksmith was always pleased to see Xaz. They talked about all sorts of mysterious animals, both ones that he had come across in his travels as well as those Xaz's mother had conjured. He reminded Xaz greatly of her mother as far as his knowledge and appreciate for myths went. Listening to him talk about his travels to the edge of the world, where the land merged into the sea into the sky, or the mountains perpetually capped in ice, was like witnessing a physical manifestation of her mother's adventurous spirit.

Unlike her, he had gone and done all those things he ever dreamed of. But at one point he realized it was time to come home. Xaz wondered whether, if her mother had also gone adventuring, she would have returned.

After a couple of weeks, Teggard presented Xaz's staff to her, now reinforced. He had removed the outer leather, pockmarked by Phantom's teeth, as well as the metal brackets, replacing them with a sort of metal shell that ran the length of the weapon. This was further wrapped in tight cords and more leather, so that sections of the metal were still exposed while leaving a comfortable grip in the most important places. The result was a staff that looked very much different, but at its core was the same. The ends were capped in rounded nubs nearly twice the size as the original, and in the middle was a ridge that hadn't been there before.

"It's so it will stay in the sheath," Teggard explained. He fetched something from deeper within his shop. "I almost forgot. Here you go."

It was a wide metal clasp of sorts. She watched closely as he fit the ridge on her staff into it, pushing down to secure it in place.

"You put these straps on here and here." He gestured on his own body. "And its rests roughly in the centre of your back. So you can have your hands free when you're running and climbing for your life next time."

Xaz chuckled. "Hopefully there won't be a next time. I appreciate it, Teggard. This is too much to ask for! Is there any way I can pay you back?"

He shook his head. "Just keep your adventurous spirit alive, Xaz. That's all I ask." He raised a brow. "And give Vaire a chance when you finally meet him."

She squeezed her staff tighter, suddenly feeling pressured. "I... I explained to Sullison that I'm not guaranteeing anything even after all the favours he's done for me. I—"

"I know. I don't expect anything from you. I hope you can appreciate Vaire's sincerity, but if nothing happens between you two, it won't change our friendship."

"Thank you, Teggard."

"I think you're spending too much time with that blacksmith," Gor said one evening at the dinner table.

Xaz nearly choked on her bite. "Teggard?"

He waved his hand in dismissal. "Whatever his name is. He's got twenty years on you, Xaz."