4

(1 year later)

  a sea of blue covers the entire football field. all of the students  that are wearing caps and gowns, swarm the first few rows and then behind them it's parents and family members. the stage is placed in the centre, the principle giving his speech and then annie gives her valedictorian speech and then finally, they place their tassels to the left side, throwing their caps into the air as they cheer, finally graduates.

"we did it!!" nadia exclaims, her arms wrapping around darius's neck, kissing his soft lips eagerly. he smiles, staring down at his girlfriend.

"marry me" he blurts out, both of their eyes widening in realisation. did he just?

nadia is taken aback, gasping a little. "w-what" she stutters, clearly shocked.

darius shakes away any self doubting thoughts that built up in the back of his mind. he knows that this is what he wants. a life with nadia. forever.

"i said" he clears his throat, getting down on one knee. their friends stare at them in shock, the whole crowd quieting down.

mackenzie is confused as to why everyone stopped chanting, she turns her head, her wide smile forming into the shape of an 'o' and her brown eyes bulging at the sight next to her, she clamps a hand over her mouth, tearing up as she sees her best friends getting engaged.

      "will you marry me?" darius asks, his voice clear.

     nadia's little head nods rapidly as she lets a few tears slip. this is the best day of her life. darius sighs with relief, standing back up and embracing her in a warm hug.  the crowd cheers and claps for them, congratulating them on their news.

      "i'm crying!" annie exclaims from beside mackenzie. a laugh followed.

      "me too!" mackenzie murmurs through the happy tears. she and nadia may have started off as enemy's but mackenzie couldn't imagine her life without nadia being her friend now.

       johnny and hayden return from the main school building. they left to go grab a snack after it was announced that they were finally graduates. johnny stopped and spoke to his dad and darian. maddie and his mom had left just moments earlier. lauren graduated too but she couldn't come home so that made johnny a little bummed out.

      "john!" mackenzie squeals, spotting him in the crowd. she runs over to him, jumping into his arms. they spin around a few times, both with smiles on their faces.  

      "what's got you so happy?" he laughs, pecking her cheek quickly.

       "darius proposed to nadia!" she explains, johnny finding it hard to believe. darius did what?

       mackenzie giggles, seeing the confused look on his face.

     "no really, he proposed like two minutes ago!" she repeats, turning to look back at the happy couple who were still surrounded by people congratulating them.

     before johnny could say anything else, annie and hayden come strutting over with a familiar child resting on annies hip as she smiled down at her.

        "your mom told us that she wouldn't settle and she'll see you both later because she has work now" hayden laughs, patting johnny's shoulder.

      mackenzie's mood lifts higher than before, her arms reaching out for the small girl with bright blue eyes and curly blonde hair. she looks just like brynn with hints of carson.

       "maisy!" mackenzie smiles, taking the giggling baby into her arms, almost smothering her with kisses. she makes baby noises as maisy laughs harder, shrieking also.

     "it's so hard to believe that she's already one year old" hayden shakes his head, unable to fathom it.

      johnny and annie nod their heads simultaneously. it's been a whole year since carson and brynn left their baby and it's been a year of johnny and mackenzie looking after her, raising her. neither of them mind of course, but johnny thinks that mackenzie is getting too attached. they can't keep maisy forever and social services have agreed to let them keep her until they find a suitable home. it could happen any minute now.

        "anyway, road trip tomorrow! who's excited?" annie beams. a few weeks ago, the group decided on going on one last road trip before they split up for college. johnny and hayden are going to UCLA together, annie got into Columbus with darius and nadia will be joining mackenzie in NYU.

       maisy starts to grow agitated in mackenzies arms, she wiggles around, holding out her arms in johnny's direction. "dadee" she cries, shocking all four of them.

      hayden and annie stare, waiting for mackenzie and johnny to react. maisy has never said that before. she will occasionally speak incoherent words that nobody understands but she said this one loud and clear.

       "she called me dad!" johnny says as if the other three hadn't just heard her.

      mackenzie beams, holding maisy up a little more, she smiles at her.

      "maisy, who's that?" mackenzie asks, pointing her finger at johnny. the one year old follows, her eyes looking straight into a shocked johnny's.

       "dadee" she repeats, still reaching out for him.

       johnny doesn't know how to feel right now. he doesn't like how excited mackenzie is about this and he doesn't like how his friends are reacting either. this isn't a good thing, he's not her dad and she can't think that. what's going to happen when she has to leave?

     turning around, johnny walks away, taking off his gown and cap, putting them on a chair and making his way towards the parking lot.

        hayden looks at mackenzie who's wearing a scowl as she tries to contain a crying maisy in her arms.

      "i'll go talk to him" he sighs, kissing annies head before leaving, trying to catch up to his best friend.

       annie shares a sympathetic look with mackenzie as she hushes maisy, calming her down.

       "i can't believe he walked away like that! she called him daddy and he isn't happy about it? that's so stupid!" mackenzie rants, her eyes narrowing.

      annie wants to agree with kenzie but she can't. she understand why johnny is upset about being called dad. if he lets himself believe that maisy's really his, it's going to hurt more when they take her away. annie just wishes mackenzie understood that too.

________________________________________________________________________
ok real talk?
i have literally no inspiration to write ANYTHING especially this book bc it's trash and doesn't make any sense at all so imma probably leave wattpad soon tbh