Starving For Friends (Quick Write)

“Aw, come on Mike, pass me a beer.”Jaime whined as he threw a water bottle across the table at Mike. Mike chuckled and opened the cooler and slid an ice cold beer to Jaime.

“Hey, so where’s Vic?” Tony asked, flipping the burgers.

“He said he went to get alcohol.” Mike said.

“Dude, that was like three hours ago.”

Just then, as if that was his queue, Vic sauntered in with plastic bags that held brown paper bags and two 30 packs. It was quiet the sight to see, such a little man with two large boxes and multiple bulging bags.

“Well look who’s finally back.” Tony joked, taking the bags from him and setting them on the table. Mike grabbed the beer and set one in the cooler and left the other box right next to it.

Soon,  a few friends and family members crowded the back yard, everyone was enjoying endless drinks and burgers and whatever munchies appeared over the past few hours. Mike had started a game of beer pong, since he hadn’t been drinking all day. Just then Vic’s phone vibrated and he walked away from the game.

“Oh way to go party pooper!” Jaime joked.

“Get off the phone!” Alex from All Time Low yelled. Vic smirked and shook his head.  He walked to the fence at the edge of the yard and leaned on it.

“Hello?” he greeted, staring at the beautiful view ahead of him.

“Aye Vic? It’s Jonny.” The voice said. Vic flipped through the billions of different Jonny’s out there, trying to figure out who this Jonny might be. Then, suddenly it clicked in his head.

“Craig?” He almost gasped, turning to face the party in fear that someone would hear him. “Wow, how the-how are you man?”

“I’m alright, whatever man, and yourself?” Jonny asked.

“Good, were having a little kick back I guess that’s what it’s called, beer and burgers you know. Anyway what’s up?”

“Well, I got this new project going, and I was actually wondering if you wanted to do a song with me.” Jonny’s voice was very straight forward but understanding as it flooded through the phone. Vic  searched the crowd of people in his backyard until he found Mike. He was laughing and smiling and having a good time. "-I mean, it’s alright if you can’t, I understand if you guys still-”

“Na, it’s alright, I’ll do it.” Vic said cautiously. He couldn’t help but smile at the fact that one of his old friends, who just happened to be Jonny Craig, decided to call him up to do a song together.

“Aw man, really?” you could hear the excitement in Jonny’s voice.

“Yeah, of course.” Vic smiled, still warily looking at Mike.

~

Vic and Jonny worked out the detail and soon the day of recording came.

I’m bouta be at your house. Jonny text Vic.

Vic looked at the message, not just read it, but he looked at it as well. It had been well over a few years since he got a text like that from Jonny. He replied with a simple okay before he wandered around the house looking for Mike. You couldn’t just secretly record a song with someone like Jonny Craig and hope no one finds out about it, so now was the time for Mike to know.

“Ayyyye, Mikey.” Vic dragged out. 

“Sup brother?” He returned. Vic sat next to him in the studio.

“So listen, I’m about to go record a song with-” Vic stopped. Mike shot him a look. Did Mike already know? What did that look mean? “With Jonny.”

“Jonny, as in Jonny Craig?” Mike raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah man.” Vic sighed. “Look, I don’t what happened between you guys, or if anything happened at all, but I’m just doing it for the fans.”

“It’s fine dude, have fun. Make it a good one.” Mike said with unreadable emotion. Just then the doorbell rang and echoed through the house. 

Vic opened the door to reveal a different looking Jonny. Since he’d last seen him, he’d lost weight, shaved his face and cut his hair.

“Good to see you man.” Jonny smiled.

“Oh man, the same to you.” Vic and Jonny shared a bro-hug and laughed. Jonny must have seen Mike walk by behind Vic because his eyes fell to the floor. Vic turned around to see that instead of Mike walking away, he had slowly began walking to the door.

“Hey, dude.” Mike said, offering a hand to Jonny. “Nice to see you again.”

“Yeah, yeah man. Good to see you too.” Jonny said. “I hate to rush this, but we gotta get down to the studio.”

The drive to the studio was filled with feelsy “remember when’s” and occasional uncontrollable laughter. Once they arrived at the studio, Jonny waved at the lady behind the front desk and began walking down a long hall way. Vic politely waved at her and she seemed to have blushed in his presence.

“Alright, let’s do this.”

So, this was just a free write thing, there was no real planning or anything that went into this, so if it doesn’t make sense or if you have questions, keep that in mind. I found inspiration in the Starving For Friends lyric video when I noticed the picture of Jonny and Mike. They looked like they were having a good time in the picture and it hit me in the feels. Also, I don’t know whether anything actually did happen between them or if they just drifted apart. And one more thing, if you really dig Jonny Craig and listen to Dance Gavin Dance and if you got the Rock Solid reference I love you. This is all I’m going to write about it because like I said it was just a little free write thing and I just felt the urge to write it out.

 The picture of Mike and Jonny: 1:05-1:09