TWO:

chapter two : the day meets the night :

-

A numbing breeze washed over the two as they sat in their dark corners of the balcony. Ben wasn't sure how to react to the sudden and very new voice. A voice that had arrived so suddenly and pierced through the silence unexpectedly.

"Where in the bloody hell did you come from?" Ben exclaimed, he was slightly still in shock. 

He hadn't heard anyone come outside, he had thought he was alone. Oh, how he had been so wrong. How long had they been there? He wasn't sure, could have been just a few moments or minutes. This uncertainty made him uncomfortable.

"Well it certainly wasn't this house right here," Ben took in the heavy sarcasm, it was practically dripping from their voice. He should have known, it was a stupid question to ask.

Silence followed. He wasn't sure what to say, anything smart escaped him at this time in the morning. It was still far too early.  He hadn't met his neighbors, they were quiet, but he knew his mother enjoyed their company when she saw them. She had spoken fondly of family gatherings that had occurred, what she hadn't known was that this was the only time that Eve got to sit down for dinner with her parents. 

Due to late working hours, she found herself preparing lonely dinners, they were far to busy with important business stuff to come home and make dinner. It had most certainly made her cooking skills better but she still wished that her dad would cook his infamous spaghetti bolognese once more. She enjoyed the joint dinner with her neighbors, it made her feel like she had a family, however she was positive this person on the balcony had never been there.

"Just how-" He hesitated, "How long have you been there?"

"I'm not giving that away, now would I? That just ruins all the fun," Eve laughed lightly. He had liked the sound of her laugh, he wasn't sure why.

It had sounded so carefree and peaceful, a genuine laugh. Something he struggled to let out, especially now more than ever. It was one that wasn't forced. He could tell that she was holding back, it wasn't funny enough for her to let go and yet she had still found amusement in her childish joke.

"The fun?" He found himself laughing back.

"Oh, of course, I'm having a wonderful time keeping you uncertain," Ben watched as she rose from her spot.

A weird boost of confidence had come over her, she felt herself rising from her spot on the cold floor. Something was pulling her over to this stranger. A different side of her had come out since she had awoken so early in the morning. 

He watched as she walked her way towards the small table he was sat at. The street lights danced around her facial features as she walked. She found her way into a seat that sat on the opposite side of the round table. 

Her light brown hair that sat carelessly around her face, it had moved softly as she walked. Her features were now coming into focus and Ben found himself surveying her face, trying to learn more about her. Her expression was lightly pained, but it was very obvious apart to those that were looking.  Her bright eyes found their way to his and he found that she had light circles beneath them, very faint. He imaged his being so dark in comparison. She wore an oversized David Bowie shirt and trackies, an odd yet matching pair. The trackies were pulled up slightly, showing that the weather was not cold enough for trackies but she could still get away with wearing them.

She picked up the lighter that sat so carelessly regarded and began to fidget with it in her hands. Eve didn't attempt to light it, instead, she just tossed it lightly from hand to hand, sometimes turning it around and attempting to read the warnings that plagued the side of the lighter.