Chapter Six: Abandon

***Warning***

THIS CHAPTER AND FURTHER ARE ALL UNDER HEAVY EDITING. CONTENT FROM THIS CHAPTER MAY NOT MATCH EVENTS THAT UNFOLDED IN PREVIOUS CHAPTERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

My lungs are on fire. My limbs ache. My head throbs.

Everything is wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong!

Wrong!

It wasn't supposed to be like this. It was never supposed to be like this. Today was supposed to be Mister Winston's retirement party. We were supposed to have cake at work and throw a pie in his face. Give him a good send off.

I was supposed to finally ask out Marie.

But now it's wrong.

Mister Winston broke into our house.

Mister Winston attacked me.

Uncle Tommy killed Mister Winston.

"Pack your bags," Uncle Tommy says. "More will be here soon."

"What the fuck, Uncle Tommy?!" Octavia exclaims.

"You killed our neighbor!" Felix accuses.

"That wasn't Mister Winston anymore. Pack your bags now, we have to leave."

And he left us.

Mister Winston is dead on the living room floor, his brains splattered against the TV and broken shards of our back door. He was fine the other day. I walked past him on my way to class.

He waved at me.

Said hello.

We talked about my classes.

His store.

He was fine.

He was fine.

Now he's dead.

The repeated realization gets me going, the weight of the situation tugging me forward.

"Come on, we have to do what Uncle Tommy says," I nudge my siblings towards the stairs so we can pack, screams echoing down the street. They don't argue as I take us back to our rooms, my legs like jelly and my head fuzzy.

Mister Winston looked sick.

He looked really sick.

I pass the open bathroom and spare a glance into the mirror.

Oh.

I can't even recognize myself.

I'm covered in blood.

The sticky substance is caked onto my face and matted in my long dark hair.

My hair.

I should cut it soon.

But not right now. We have to pack.

We pack in a blur, grabbing clothes, food, and medicine from the bathroom and Uncle Tommy leads us to his cruiser outside.

"Get in kids, we have a long drive ahead of us." He orders.

"Uncle Tommy, are we sick?" Felix asks.