✵ one

one.
Mystic Grill

While Mystic Falls wouldn't have been her first choice years ago when Jazmin moved to her new foster family, her mind had long since been changed

While Mystic Falls wouldn't have been her first choice years ago when Jazmin moved to her new foster family, her mind had long since been changed. Despite having a high crime rate, a lot of people still lived here and were kinder than you would think from living in a city that held lots of deaths. But sadly, high school was the same everywhere.

There were always the jerks, the popular kids, and while she might be quite popular, it wasn't a good way. She was more of a loner despite having friends, who were actually not in the same school. Landon had been the friend that went through high school with her until he moved to another foster family himself and Leah went to this place for troubled rich kids.

Most kids at school thought she was either the loner or the stoner, she didn't know which one was worse. It were mostly Connor and Dana that had started the hate towards her, but it had quickly spread around the whole school. Rumors had been going around for years now, for example that she used to go to the troubled rich kids school before being expelled and sent to the 'normal' high school.

Sighing, she made her way towards the Mystic Grill like she always did after school. Looking at her watch, she wasn't surprised to see that she would be early. Leah went to school longer than Jazmin did. Opening the door, she went inside and noticed how weird it was without Landon. Whenever they would arrive, he would need to do his shift while she and Leah would keep him company. It was just weird without him.

"Don't you need to be in the alley, smoking your cigarette or whatever?" Connor asked her, approaching her all by himself. Quickly scanning the room, she noticed that sadly Sasha wasn't there.

"Don't you need to be in your girlfriend's best friend's pants or whatever?" she shot back, taking him by surprise. While she loved the look of surprise on his face, she did not like the look of anger.

"What did you just say?" He took a step closer towards her, probably thinking it would scare her, but she didn't let him show any sign of anxiousness or fear.

"Oh, you heard me well enough, Connor." She was sure he would've done something if Leah hadn't arrived at that moment.

The blonde placed her hand on the boy's shoulder before asking Jazmin, "So, this must be the jerk, Connor, right?"

"You're damn right." Jazmin couldn't help but smile once she noticed Connor taking his defeat. She had been sure he would've commented about Leah being a troubled, rich kid, but he didn't.

"You know how the saying goes, don't you, Vega?" he asked her, tilting his head with anger still clear on his face. "You may have won the battle—"

"And I'll win the damn war," she finished, smirking when she noticed his face only growing more red with the second. "Just leave, Connor."

Jazmin let out a breath of relief as she watched him walk away while Leah went ahead and grabbed a spot at the bar. When Connor had left the building all together, she went over to Leah with a feeling of victory.

"Did you see his face?" she asked as she sat down next to the blonde, who was just done ordering, probably ordering their usual drinks.

"Yeah," said Leah, "he definitely deserved that after what he used to do to us and Landon."

"I miss him," Jazmin told the blonde, leaning her head on her hand. "What do you think he's doing now?"

"Uh," Leah began, but hauled up her shoulders when she couldn't think of anything.

"You know what?" Their drinks were placed on the bar and Jazmin immediately took a sip. "I think he has this rich foster family and he is probably even forgetting about us."

"Nobody can just forget us, Jaz." She looked over at the blonde girl, who for some reason seemed way more quiet than usual.

She took another sip before asking the girl, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Leah asked, furrowing her eyebrows at Jazmin.

"It's just — you know what, nevermind," she told Leah, shaking her head. She focused back on her drink instead as she got lost in her thoughts. Trying to think of a reason why Leah was acting this way, she didn't even realise that Leah had stood up and that her phone was ringing.

"I'll be right back, I just need to take this phone call."

Jazmin nodded, watching the blonde walk through the backdoor and leaving her by herself. The weird feeling still hadn't left the girl alone, but it had been liking this for months. She knew the hole Landon had left in her heart could never really be filled with someone else. He was her best friend, just like Leah. No matter how good of friend Leah was though, it wasn't enough to fill that hole.

Drinking until the glass was empty, she drowned her thoughts. She knew she shouldn't be so down, but she just hated going through high school without her friends by her side.

When Leah returned, Jazmin had already paid for the drinks and she told the other girl, "I'll see you tomorrow again, alright?"

"You know it, Jaz." Jazmin said her goodbyes before leaving the Mystic Grill, ready to see her foster family again after a long day of the nightmare that was high school.

author's note !
chapter one is up and I'd love to know all of your opinions and theories — even though this hasn't been much!