Part Five

A/N- the song is 'I Will Be There' from the Count of Monte Cristo musical. You don't need to listen to it but I thought I'd add it because I love it so much!

Enjoy the story!

- Your POV -

It's been years since that first encounter with Credence, and you've made a steady habit of seeing him whenever you can.

At first, he would hardly speak at all and you would have to carry the conversation or just let the silence build. Of course, the silence was never bad, after all, sometimes there are things words can't say.

And, where words fail, gestures prosper.

You remember the one time when he was sadder than usual. You didn't want to pry, but you took his hands and saw the wounds. Your warm hands holding his cold ones, you embraced him. Words would have failed you then, so you spoke using your actions.

He had returned the hug, and wrapped his arms around you and cried gently. You cried with him, feeling his pain as if it was your own. Because, in a way, it was your pain too.

When he hurts, you hurt. This is the true bond of friendship that you have developed. You both share pain and joy. Happiness and hurt.

And you wouldn't have it any other way.

You smirk as you remember the years you had spent building a friendship with him, the time you had spent with him. Those were the best memories.

Once, you sat in the alley by his home and looked at the stars. They shone brightly in the heavens and the moon was full and beautiful surrounded by them. The cold wall against your back wasn't as harsh as you would expect, and Credences hand in yours was warm and comforting.

"The stars are pretty tonight," you smile.

"Yeah, they are."

You know he wants to say something else, so you encourage him, "What is it?"

He hesitates before answering, "Are you leaving?"

"What?" Your voice gentle, you think about the question. Then you chuckle softly, "No, Credence, I'm not going anywhere. At least not for a long time."

"But you will. Leave?"

"Well, I can't stay here forever. One day, I want to travel. Go to London and Paris. I want to explore."

He moves his eyes from the stars to your face and you do the same.

"You'll leave me?" His voice hushed, your heart breaks.

He thinks you'll leave him, but you know you never will. Not if you can help it.

"Never." You shake your head fiercely. "Credence, I'd never abandon you." You grab his hand again, your e/c eyes staring at his dark brown ones.

His breath catches in his throat, "Promise?"

"I solemnly swear that I will always be here for you. Even when we're apart, I'll be thinking of you." You tell him earnestly.

"I'll be here for you too, I promise." He replies, smiling.

"And, even if we're apart, we can take comfort in the fact that we will always be under the same sky. We share the stars, the moon, and the sun." You bite your lip.

"Yes," He breathes out.

Turning to him, you embrace him warmly. He returns the favor, and you inhale his scent. He smells like dusty books, clean clothes, and black pepper. You chuckle.

"What is it?" He asks, a smile still on his face.

"You smell like soup and clean clothes."

"Oh, is that bad?" He asks worriedly.

"No, you smell good." You laugh again.

He smirks, "Well, you smell like flowers, tea, and books. So we're even, Raindrop."

'Raindrop' is the nickname he gave you after a year of being friends. You call him 'Cree' and he, in turn, calls you 'Raindrop'. You love the nickname, and he loves calling you that.

"I should go now, it's getting late." You comment, standing to your feet. You help Credence up and start to leave.

"Wait!" He calls, and you obey.

He runs up and hugs you fiercely. Your hands rest on his back and his arms encircle you.

"See you tomorrow, Y/n."

"See you, Cree."

Now, you tend to your indoor garden inside Queenie and Tina's apartment and wait for them to get home.

Trimming, watering, and pulling weeds isn't exactly fun, but you love the flowers and herbs and vegetables that all the hard work delivers. Admiring a beautiful begonia, you water the remaining plants and hum as you work.

You clean up the water that you spilled and start to make supper. You decide of f/f because you haven't had it in a while.

I hope they don't mind, you remember Queenie and Tina, but they aren't particular.

When they get home, you greet them and serve them dinner.

"Thanks, hon," Queenie says, as they start eating.

"No problem!" You beam happily.

You sit down and pick up the conversation, "How was work today?"

"Pretty boring, to be honest," Tina answers, and Queenie agrees.

You shrug, "Same here. But, you know only a few more years until I'm eighteen. Then I can work at the agency with you!"

They grin, "Yes! It'll be great!"

After eating, you clean up and start to get ready for your daily walk to visit Credence. Throwing on your coat, you amble out the door and go to your usual meeting place.

But, he never shows up.

You wait for hours, but he doesn't come.

You know he was probably held up by Mary Lou, and so you say a quick prayer for him before going back to the apartment and hoping that he's all right.